2008 Rally Fontana Dam, NC

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 01-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #1
rydeuhkatana2000
Skid Mark

Exclamation Front suspension ?

Ok this might seem kinda dumb ..but ill ask anyway i have a 2000
gsx600f i was wanting to know what you think abnout puttung 250cc dirtbike triple clamps and forks on of course i would use the springs out of the stock forks but my main concern is the acutual tree itself ....do you think it would be strong enough i mean it is designed to take a preety good beating off road ..and i aint jumping my streetbike ..i am still new to the streetbike worldi have riden before but never acutally owned my own bike before now
...please take it easy on me guys im a newb
rydeuhkatana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:30 AM   #2
Doc_speeder
Squid

Yes it would be strong enough. What is your goal with this swap?
Doc_speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:37 AM   #3
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Not quite. The 250 suspension won’t fit without some serious mods. The kat suspension is designed for heavier weight like 4x the weight. Not a good choice there. Front suspension failure at speed could be deadly.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
Doc_speeder
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xjunker View Post
Not quite. The 250 suspension won’t fit without some serious mods. The kat suspension is designed for heavier weight like 4x the weight. Not a good choice there. Front suspension failure at speed could be deadly.
I'm going to respectfully take a different opinion. The forks/clamps on my YZ250 are WAY beefier than the little spaghetti forks on my Katana. Curb weight aside, the MX bike forks will pound through whoops, land 90' triples, and cartwheel down a hill all day long and come back and beg for more. Springs of course are softer and would need to be upgraded but I think the forks on a MX bike will take any punishment that the street would dish out.

Now, getting everything to fit/bolt up is another can of worms, but anything is possible with skills/lathe/welder...

Last edited by Doc_speeder; 01-14-2018 at 10:36 AM..
Old 01-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
rydeuhkatana2000
Skid Mark

thanks everyone for responding ..So my goal would just be making the bike look better. I guess not to mention doc speeder has a valid point on the tripple tree being much beefier in comparison to the katanas oem. And what else would really be needed to fab besides some wheel spacers to alighn the disc to the rotor ...one disc should be enough right?
rydeuhkatana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Oh no....two. 540# bike vs 200#
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
Doc_speeder
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydeuhkatana2000 View Post
thanks everyone for responding ..So my goal would just be making the bike look better. I guess not to mention doc speeder has a valid point on the tripple tree being much beefier in comparison to the katanas oem. And what else would really be needed to fab besides some wheel spacers to alighn the disc to the rotor ...one disc should be enough right?
Yeah you're gonna want to keep 2 rotors. This is not going to be a straight up swap...
Old 01-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #8
Suerte
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydeuhkatana2000 View Post
with how heavy the Kats are and the speeds they can reach you dont want to take away half of your braking power!

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101