X

is my speedo off?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my speedo off?

was cruising down michigans, i75 at the speed of traffic. I look down at my speedo and im indicated at 90mph. i'm in the far right lane and i get passed on the left. do you guys think this is a case of some aggressive drivers, or is my speedo way off?

Way off, what's your gearing?
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Speedo just being off, especially if you no longer have OEM sprockets. +-10% is normal...
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Way off, what's your gearing?
        stock gearing. guess i will compare speeds with an app on my phone in the morning. why would my speedo be off by so much?

Comment

My Kat and my VFR were off slightly when compared to the speed on the GPS, they were low on both bikes.
          Kyle

Comment

Pre kat speedo is cable driven off the front wheel. It's naturally about 10% off, showing you going faster than you are. That's with the stock 110 front tire.

Now days everyone uses the 120//70. It's not as large, so you get an even more out of whack reading off further.

So if your speedo is reading 90... and it's off at least 10%, then your actual speed was closer to 80... or less.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Mine is off too by 10% exactly. But I have the Post Kat and changed the rear tire for a wider one. Speedo says 100KM/H and I'm actually doing 90KM/H

Comment

Working...
              X