Sensor thingy on side of carbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensor thingy on side of carbs?

Hey folks, new to the newer Kats..

gotta 2000 Kat600, and it has a sensor on the side of the carbs. (RH side of the 4th carb)

Anyone tell me what thats for? never seen this on the older kats.

it's a TPS, or throttle position sensor. In theory, it controls RPM's depending on throttle position. In the real world, it doesn't do a damn thing.

Comment

Soooo......they put a TPS sensor on a carb'd bike? To control ignition maybe?

Comment

They put a TPS on a Katana because they can. It doesn't actually do anything. If it makes you feel better to tell yourself it controls ignition, we'll go with that.

Comment

lol, BAHAHA, nah...i dont like to lie to myself, then i get mad atmyself and wanna yell a myself... then my other self ends up eating a box of cereal and i get a belly ache..

Thats funny...they installed useless stuff. Hmm...weirdos! Thanks for the info Arsenic i appreciate it!

Comment

Technically, the TPS was already on the carbs that Suzuki used on the Katana 98-06. The Mikuni BSR carbs are used on many different motorcycles. On some, the TPS is actually a useful sensor. Since they used BSR carbs on the Katana, instead of changing the already designed carbs, they just gave Katana owners something to plug it into. That way, it makes Katana owners think it does something.

Comment

Very Interesting! Thanks for the info about it!

Comment

haha that makes sense. The honda CBR has a TPS and its pointless. Like, just take it off pointless. Always wondered why they spent the money to put it there. They didnt, they were tryin to save money. Interesting insight.
                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

HMMMM>>>>>> So my question is since I have a pre engine on a post, should I just unplug the tps?? Is that why my bike wont run? Im about to go see...
                  sigpic

Comment

No, leave it. It is supposed to help with low end power by changing the timing. Has nothing to do with a no run citation.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Well I dont know what to do. Swapped to a 97 600 from a 99. The engine was running but the carbs were leaking. Fixed the leak, and now I cant get it to start. Turns and backfires from carbs and exaust....
                      sigpic

Comment

When I turn the key, all lights work except the speedo. No mileage display.
                        sigpic

Comment

Backfiring isn't a trait associated with the Kat, timing issue/ plugs swapped.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

No oil light. No back light on gauges. I did blow the tail light fuse, but I replaced it and it works properly. Im going thru thr harness and looking at the wiring diagram from the service manual and every thing I check, checks out.
                            sigpic

Comment

Sorry man, I just got a laugh. In this thread it's stated multiple times the TPS doesn't do a damn thing. It says that exact thing, word for word. You post "Is that the reason my bike won't run?" How can I be more clear than "it doesn't do a damn thing". Let me know. It will help me out in future posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X