X

being seen better

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being seen better

so after buying my kat my friends, family, and of course my girlfriend are very concerned about me riding on the road, i keep making them promises about proper everything! but maybe some advice from more people would help.

so far ive painted the bike very bright and super nice colors hoping people will see me better. but as far as purchasing things i wanna share my thoughts, and im not exactly out riding for a fashion show, im riding because i love to

anyways;

• im thinking a white or yellow GMAX helmet with a built in flashing LED light in the back
    • getting a strobe effect brake light, for...well my brakes.
    • of course gear and pads
    • a super bright headlight, like one that those ricers have, you can see those from miles away! super obnoxious but EVERYONE will see me. or just a bright headlight in general
    • maybe put some strobe effect bicycle lights in my fairings for night time so i will grap more peoples attention
    • decorate the bodies contour and inner shapes and other parts on the bike with reflective tape. did that with my moped and it worked pretty good! just an added safety cushion for just in case. every little bit helps
    • and finally a semi louder exhaust than the stock one. I want people to hear me as well as see me. I actually had a neighbor come over after i was doing test rides on my bike and getting use to it and she wasn't there to complain about me riding, but whats more is she was actually there to tell me that i should make the bike louder! she said she was backing out and i drove by behind her, she said she heard something but thought it was some landscapers nearby but then as she proceeded to back out i was there. you can use your imagination...she knows whats up.

anyways just want peoples opinions, thoughts, whatever, it may seem like over kill but i also want to get to my destination and ride for as long as i can and be as comfortable as possible too without thinking too much about visibility, every little bit counts right?
    Last edited by Tubs26; 09-29-2014, 01:10 AM.

Your going overboard with the strobing lights, it will only yield a ticket. That's what your horn is for. Ride defensively . Use reflective vest for night riding. A good headlight helps. The most important thing in day or night riding is paying attention to your surroundings, always look farther down the road for hazards, Ride to your environment, ie slower at night, give yourself more room to maneuver just in case, watch your rear at stops, stay in gear just in case you need to bug out.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-29-2014, 01:41 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

yeah, ok that sounds good, im definitely taking all that into consideration about riding. anytime i drive now (car) im in motorcycle eagle eye mode now without choice and its nice, good practice. after watching and reading everything i can on the web and taking the motorcycle course its really fine tuned my driving abilities, in the last few days ive already noticed a performance gain in my alertness and scanning while driving, ill just have to carry that over to the bike now lol

Comment

You could add some white LED'S to your front forks. I think they help drivers see you at dusk & at dawn and intersections. After it rains be careful of wet leaves on the road ,train tracks, trolly tracks ,manhole covers , painted lines
        ect as these can be slippery. Buy the best gear you can afford, the extra time it takes for you to gear up for a ride is much faster than trying to heal road rash or broken bones. Don't wear running shoes with laces !! They usually get caught up in shifter ( try putting your foot down when that happens..lol ) Take the motorcycle safety course.
        Last edited by loneraider; 04-18-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

No matter what you wear or what color your bike, Just ride like you are invisible and everyone is out to run you over. it has worked for me for the last 24+ years, well except that time with the tree.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tubs26 View Post
            • and finally a semi louder exhaust than the stock one. I want people to hear me as well as see me. I actually had a neighbor come over after i was doing test rides on my bike and getting use to it and she wasn't there to complain about me riding, but whats more is she was actually there to tell me that i should make the bike louder! she said she was backing out and i drove by behind her, she said she heard something but thought it was some landscapers nearby but then as she proceeded to back out i was there. you can use your imagination...she knows whats up.

Won't matter or make much of a difference. People still will not hear you.

Your exhaust won't be as loud as emergency vehicle sirens. Even it was heard, it won't give you the same response as an emergency siren.

Why do I mention the sirens.... Because people can't hear them either!

As trooper Gavin McIlvenna rushed to the scene in his patrol car, his dashboard camera caught several oblivious I-84 motorists impeding his progress to the point where the policeman frantically screamed for them to move.

When every second counts, first responders in emergency vehicles are having problems getting where they need to go and it’s costing lives.

This is really very simple. Ride like no on can see or hear you!

Cause they won't/don't.

As for all the other visibility approaches, I support those. Think it's a good idea. But don't rely on them. Expect your invisible.

Krey
            Last edited by Kreylyn; 09-29-2014, 07:51 AM.
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My personal feeling about strobes is that they mesmerize people and then they target fixate which is probably worse. I've done it myself while riding. the guy in front of me had strobes and I kept staring at them and almost hit the guy because it didn't occur to me to hit my brakes when he stopped.

Comment

+1

Also, and other may disagree, I prefer to ride a bit quicker than the cages around me that way I can see what I'm approaching and plan accordingly....

Develop the 1000 yard plan. Always look 1000 yards ahead and plan for potential issues. (this drives my wife nuts because when we are in our car she's always warning me of something that I've already seen seconds earlier. She doesn't understand the 1000 yard rule. )

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                This is really very simple. Ride like no on can see or hear you!

Cause they won't/don't.

As for all the other visibility approaches, I support those. Think it's a good idea. But don't rely on them. Expect your invisible.

Krey
                2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I also use my Wolo BAD BOY horn from Harbor Freight. It's more easily heard.(I can hear it with helmet and ear plugs., couldn't hear stocker at all).
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I agree with Bearcat.. I always drive a bit quicker than the traffic around me, a little pro active I call it. I make my own decisions rather than wait for other people to make theirs.

Comment

here are my thoughts.
                      I wear a bright yellow helmet and a HI Viz jacket. One pair of gloves are mostly hi viz and black. Defensive techniques and no goofing off. I use hand signals along with my blinkers.
                      Brights in the day (eventually will add two driving lights up front). A little early on brake lever and slowly move left and right using whole lane when coming to a stop (to make your movement different than the traffic around you) I also use this left right movement in the lane when approaching an intersection or driveways where someone may turn across my lane.
                      I try to ride in a traffic gap by myself if possible but try to use vehicles as barriers through intersections.
                      Try not to be the last in a vehicle line through intersections.
                      I agree with traveling faster than the flow of traffic but I don't do it any more. Never got a ticket riding fast, only tickets were using this technique and only a couple miles an hour faster than average flow of traffic.
                      I like the flickering tail light but do not use one because the problems mentioned about target fixation. And remember if you ride at night (drunk driving hours mostly) that drunks will drive into what they are looking at so the bright look at me stuff works against you for that.
                      Nothing beats you riding as intelligently as you can.

Comment

The tail light just pulses three or four times and goes solid, I use it and does our highway patrol and police.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I agree that you can go too far with the strobes although the pulsing brake light seems like a good idea. State troopers in Arkansas are starting to go to them, too.

As for the exhaust, the only way a louder exhaust is going to do you a bit of good is if you point it forward. Try it sometime, pay attention to a Harley as it goes by in the opposite direction from you. It's not too loud at all until they're past you but then, oof! Loud pipes don't actually save lives. They just piss off the neighbors when you get home late.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

black reflective tape that looks black during the day and white at night is really great.. I have the stuff all over my bike

Comment

Working...
                            X