Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Front Wheel Fender - Removal with wheel on?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Wheel Fender - Removal with wheel on?

So without paying any attention or doing any research I put myself into a bit of a pickle. I was painting my fairings and decided to paint the front wheel fender as well. Trying to get them off proved a challenge and I managed to break the bolts slightly loose of the nuts holding them on the underside. I didn't realize they were loose nuts holding it as I had this silly idea that it would be a speed nut or some sort of attached nut that would stay in place. This ended up giving about 1mm of play between the nut, bolt, and fender and allows it to rattle at slow speeds. I can't seem to get at the nut to tighten it down or loosen it the rest of the way to take off the wheel fender. I don't have a jack and I've never tried to take off a wheel, either the front or rear. Is there anyway to get at that nut and hold it in place? I'm guessing it hasn't been touched since installation and that was the manufacturer's locktite I broke it slightly loose of. Thoughts? Ideas? Help?

Originally posted by Bright Wire View Post
    So without paying any attention or doing any research I put myself into a bit of a pickle. I was painting my fairings and decided to paint the front wheel fender as well. Trying to get them off proved a challenge and I managed to break the bolts slightly loose of the nuts holding them on the underside. I didn't realize they were loose nuts holding it as I had this silly idea that it would be a speed nut or some sort of attached nut that would stay in place. This ended up giving about 1mm of play between the nut, bolt, and fender and allows it to rattle at slow speeds. I can't seem to get at the nut to tighten it down or loosen it the rest of the way to take off the wheel fender. I don't have a jack and I've never tried to take off a wheel, either the front or rear. Is there anyway to get at that nut and hold it in place? I'm guessing it hasn't been touched since installation and that was the manufacturer's locktite I broke it slightly loose of. Thoughts? Ideas? Help?
    Been there, done that. The only way to get the fender off that I've found is to take off the front wheel. Sorry dude.
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

It's easier to take the wheel off.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ya its a PITA but you gotta take off the front wheel. You can do it without a jack though. Put it on the centerstand and have a buddy sit on the passenger seat as far back as possible. This will unweight the front wheel long enough for you to get it and the fender off. Just make sure you get the axle nuts loose before you unweight the front wheel. Put the fenderless wheel back on and paint to your hearts content. Reverse the process for putting the fender back on. Not the best method mind you, but works for the shade-tree mechanic who doesn't feel like dropping coin on the proper tool. Good luck.

Joe
        If it ain't zip tied, it ain't modified.

sigpic

Comment

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

-Steve

sigpic

Comment

Anyone have a good write-up with pics on getting that front wheel off?

Pre-600 and no center stand option; Am I going to need to build the $50 bike stand and buy ratcheting straps?

Any idea what size those nuts are? Maybe I can get a up there with my ratchet with an extension... maybe?

Comment

Anyone have a good write-up with pics on getting that front wheel off?

Pre-600 and no center stand option; Am I going to need to build the $50 bike stand and buy ratcheting straps?

Any idea what size those nuts are? Maybe I can get a up there with my ratchet with an extension... maybe?

It's not hard. Go download the service manual.

Undo the pinch bolt, remove the axle.

Might have to remove the brake calipers too... I can't remember off the top of my head.... but it takes me longer to get the stand out and together than it does to pull the wheel.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

you got a floor jack? You a block of wood between the oil pan and the jack and jack it up under the oil pan. Pretty much anything is M5 x .8, it's a guess, I'd have to check to be sure, I'll check later

Comment

Looks like I have a new project. On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being really really bad, how easy is it for me to screw the Kat up pulling and then installing the front tire? I can be a natural klutz my first time doing something.

Comment

like a 2

Comment

Looks like I have a new project. On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being really really bad, how easy is it for me to screw the Kat up pulling and then installing the front tire? I can be a natural klutz my first time doing something.
                      Dude, mechanically, I'm a dillweed, and I did it. If I can do it, anyone can.
                      -
                      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

hah I ran into that exact problem today. Is it easy to get the wheel properly aligned once you put it back on?
                        2000 GSX 600 Katana

Comment

Yes putting the wheel back on is quite simple. Just make sure you're front brake is back on properly. Dont want to find out when you apply it and get no stopping power!

Comment

I can get my front fender off and on without taking the wheel off. I use a stubby open-end wrench, and I can just barely slide my hand up between the fender and the tire to hold it.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I found it so very easy just taking the wheel off... me cant reach little nuts with big hands, and why would I lol. Make it easier on yourself not even 5 minutes goes by taking the wheel off, that is if none of the screws or bolts are stubborn !!DAmN REfLecTor!! On the easy scale, well, its easy lol
                              2000 GSX 600 Katana

Comment

Working...
                              X