X

Broken center case?? plus problems with shop

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken center case?? plus problems with shop

Ok. I am kinda pissed. Here is the story, maybe you can assist.

Cause:
    Got my spare jacket wrapped around the rear sprocket while riding (about 20mph). Caused the chain to pop off. Stopped the bike, put on center-stand and removed shredded jacket. Put chain back on, and shook my head at my stupidity. Noticed chain was really loose, and pulling in the clutch lever only worked sporadically. Drove the bike 3 miles in 1st gear to motorcycle shop.

Symptoms:
    Clutch will engage intermittently. Most times it would not, but when it did it was working fine. Chain is loose and rubs slightly on the center-stand. Bike runs normally otherwise (no leaks, no unusual sounds, no smoke).

Initial Diagnosis:
    Shop (Corona Motorsports, CMS, Corona, CA) says that I broke the center case ( I don't know what that is ). They thought it was something that could be repaired, but now say it needs to be replaced.

Problem with shop
    I dropped my bike off on Monday, 10/9. They said they would be able to get to it on Wednesday, 10/11 at the latest. I stopped by on Friday 10/13, Tuesday 10/17, and today 10/19 and each time they said that they need to get a parts estimate done on the work. It has been 10 days, and no estimate other than the initial one based on my verbal symptoms above. Customer service is poor in that they never called me back like they promised multiple times.

They promise to get me an estimate today, and tell me that parts will take at least 4 days after I approve the estimate. I figure another week to get it repair, and it will have taken almost a month to fix this problem, that at first glance seemed minor (I thought a new clutch cable, and chain adjustment).

Questions:
    Does anyone know what a broken center case is? How long should something like this take to fix? Is it really a week to get parts from Suzuki? What should I have done differently? Any suggestions on another location to take my bike (it is in Corona, CA 92880)
    '00 Katana 600 : My first bike!
    '04 Dodge SRT-4 : Old Commuter car
    '94 Supra GT42R : 9 sec sports car

There's not a chance I would leave my bike with them for that long. 10 days to get an estimate is too long.

If indeed the case is broken, they go pretty cheap on ebay. I'm sure there's members here with spare cases sitting around. Splitting the cases is kind of a job.

I would pop off the front sprocket cover, and check it out myself.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Clutch works intermittently ..... Maybe you popped the lifter mechanism bolts off or bent the rod . Part of the jacket got up under the sprocket cover and jiggered some stuff .... Yeah , pop that cover off and have a look-see .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Chain

8) I'm with MD on this one, go for the cover and get away from those guys. Good luck and I hope the case won't be an issue. Lot of good people on the site to help you through it. Hang in there Bubba.

Comment

My guess is that the chain is toast and the problems that MD mentioned are bad. Recover the bike and either do the diagnostics/repairs yourself or locate a better dealer (contact someone in your area, such as TDRCom, for recommendations on dealers).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

+1
            Gripp & Regripp

Comment

get it out of there.....10 days for an estimate? How long is it gonna take to fix then?
              97 Katana 600
              [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Working...
              X