X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by md86
    I've heard of a top end oiling kit for Bandits , but never SEEN one ...... I'd leave the lines alone . That's where the cams go , but the lines LOOK like some kind of aux oiling system deal .
    It ONCE was (IF so), this setup doesn't do much (perhaps a tiny bit off cooling from the lines) my guess is the former owner wether disassembled the kit and not willing/able to plug the out- and inlets on the cylinderhead he used a line to connect them OR this is something just for looks
    Originally there are some buttonheads in there so go ahead and remove the lines, you'll be fine.

This is a working though imo ugly setup for a topend cooler.

Comment

• thx for the info.

First thx for the help, so i gues it meens i can just use the old plugs from my old engine instead???

/Jesper

Comment

• yes you can.

Comment

• Those lines wont fit into a katana frame, and they are actually pointless. Unless you are getting an oil feed from somewhere else, those lines are just for show.

Take it of and put the rocker shaft plugs back on.
          Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
          18v Rigid Drill
          Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
          New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

• Well well well

I did the engine swap, and here is some info for other users, im sorry for my bad english, plz feel free to rewrite it.

When you chose an engine produced after 1997, you will have some minor problems. Here is how I solved it

My kat is a 1992, with 86000 km on the klok, and a broken 2. gear!!

I bought a bandit 600 engine for about 1750 Danish Kr. or around 170 pound.

When using the newer engine, you have to be ready to modify some small things, here is what i did.

Taken from the top! On top of the walve cover, is a small cover with a oilhose on it, replace that one with you old one (bolts right on)

Karburators, i reused the ones from my kat, becourse, they fit my airfilter house!!

Bottom, The oilpan is made for the original 4-1 Exhaust, and did not fit with my exhaust (shape) therefor i reused my old olipan, ADN importent also the "tube" that the oil is taken by to the pump!!

That was what i did, and it works, might ad, that the pre 98 engine makes alot mor "noice" than the newer 98- does, so even though i get the same power, the engine is alot nicer in the way it runs!!

I reused my old: Karburators, exhaust, kables, and all that. only changed the things written above.

I have been on testbench, to make sure the engine was ok, and the carbs and stuff was ok. Evrything perfekt! With the new engine i have 78 HK on the back wheel, with the old i had 72, so i gues evrything is ok..

Fun sidenote: before the swap, i used 11km pr. liter, now i go 16 pr liter!! (fresh driving)

Yes i used the old rocker shaft plugs.

Again sorry my bad english, hope this might help someone, and thx for all the help!!

/Jesper

Comment

• Yes, it's listed in this thread.

The breather cover needs to be swapped for a bandit motor,
              the oil pan & oil pickup for a post to pre swap, and the carbs which should stay with the frame in this particular case.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

• Originally posted by sveske View Post
                ok, ill gotakeapicture... thx for all the help so far

Here goes, have some problems with edit funktion!!
                hope this works

[/img]

IT DID lolz
                /Jesper
                These are actually very helpful in race engines, but not needed for the street. They ARE VERY USEFUL, though........as they provide additonal oil flow to a critical area(s). Most big time Suzuki racing engines use them. I've installed a few sets on drag bikes and especially on Karts (all 4-cylinder Suzuki engines). They are available from a few mfg's.
                I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?

Comment

• Article added to the wiki
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                  X