My 1992 GSXF GSXR wheel swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1992 GSXF GSXR wheel swap

so, i prefitted gsxr 5.5" wheel on stock pre 750 swingarm,
    there is still few issues, but i think i can manage those without modifying swingarm.

here's pics:

sprocet side, space between tire and swingarm (bad pic, i know)

rotor side, axle

rotor side, space between tire and swingarm

i have to make new spacer wich brake caliber will attached,
    but i guess, i'ts enough...

i'll keep posting here as project goes on...

-sorry about my english, not a native language...

5/10/2010

quite dirty project, but still...

what you guys think, will it hold caliber?

wheel is pushed all the way to front, there is not much space, but still....

i'll keep posting as project goes on...
    Last edited by jonezy; 05-10-2010, 10:32 AM. Reason: more pics

So ur gona put a 5.5 inch wheel on without modding the swingarm...How..? bc i wana b next 2 do this
    Speeding Wont Kill You,Whatever Stops You Will

My Build
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114501

Comment

I'm not too fond of that brake caliper bracket being shaved down that much...then again, I rarely use mine anyway. The spacing from the tire to the arm is down right unsafe, IMO. A couple good bumps plus your body weight will have that tire flexing enough to cause it to rub the arm and we all know what that will result in....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Why did you cut the caliper bracket at all? Just push the forks wider with a hydro jack by 1/2". Your asking for a major brake failure doing that much of a shaving/cut on that bracket.

But, neither of those approaches resolves you big issue.. the fact that you don't have enough clearance for that tire at speed. When tires rotate, they expand!!!... if your near rubbing now, you WILL be rubbing when your moving down the road.

You need to widen those forks at the tires.... somehow. Different arm, mod that arm... or something. What you got WONT be safe.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Let us know how this turns out...
          1998 Suzuki Katana 750, GSX750F, black, 13,2XX miles, stage-I jet kit, NGK IX iridium spark plugs, ...
          1969-1/2 Dodge Super Bee, A12, 440 Six Pack, 4-speed, Dana 60 rear axle, Butterscotch w/black stripe, black interior
          1974 Plymouth 'Gold' Duster, 225 slant six, automatic, hood scoop, rear spoiler, aluminum wheels ... performance looks set up for daily driving

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Why did you cut the caliper bracket at all? Just push the forks wider with a hydro jack by 1/2". Your asking for a major brake failure doing that much of a shaving/cut on that bracket.

But, neither of those approaches resolves you big issue.. the fact that you don't have enough clearance for that tire at speed. When tires rotate, they expand!!!... if your near rubbing now, you WILL be rubbing when your moving down the road.

You need to widen those forks at the tires.... somehow. Different arm, mod that arm... or something. What you got WONT be safe.

Krey
            Listen to the man he knows what he is talking about plus he has a good write up on how to do this mod

Comment

Krey
              so u can just make the swingarm wider by spreading it apart with a hydro jack..?...u dont have to cut or weld anything to fit a bigger wheel and tire..?
              Speeding Wont Kill You,Whatever Stops You Will

My Build
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114501

Comment

caliper bracket won't be let like that, just modeling.
                i'll make new one from stainless steel.

most of the pics were taken when tire was pushed all the way to front,
                and when it's positioned right, there will be about 10-12mm space on both sides.
                i'm aware of the spreading tire effect.

if you spread swingarm with hydro jack, it won't be guaranteed that both sides will spread equally and it may be that axle holes will not match anymore.

if you spread sprocket side, chain line won't match...

Comment

Originally posted by Kattie View Post
                  so u can just make the swingarm wider by spreading it apart with a hydro jack..?...u dont have to cut or weld anything to fit a bigger wheel and tire..?

Larger rim, yes... it's possible if by just 1 size. Tires, probably not, as your spreading the end of the forks, not at the front (diminishing returns on width) so you don't really increase the tire clearance.

If for example you wanted to do a 4.5" bandit wheel in a post kat, yes... this will work. You can use up to a 170 tire then and only need a slight mod to the brake torque arm to clear the tire.

Larger than that, you won't have clearance for the tire.

Originally posted by jonezy View Post
                  caliper bracket won't be let like that, just modeling.
                  i'll make new one from stainless steel.
                  Just please make sure it's thick enough for the materials choosen to hold up.

most of the pics were taken when tire was pushed all the way to front,
                  and when it's positioned right, there will be about 10-12mm space on both sides.
                  i'm aware of the spreading tire effect.
                  In my experiance that is not sufficient clearance in those pictures. I can't stop you obviously... but I would not ride that bike.

if you spread swingarm with hydro jack, it won't be guaranteed that both sides will spread equally and it may be that axle holes will not match anymore.

if you spread sprocket side, chain line won't match...
                  I guess if you just put a jack in there and whacked away with not paying any attention at all. There are some very simple basic things you can do to make sure they spread evenly.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just please make sure it's thick enough for the materials choosen to hold up.

In my experiance that is not sufficient clearance in those pictures. I can't stop you obviously... but I would not ride that bike.
                    Krey
                    how much space you think it'll need to roll freely?

i'll promise, test rides will be taken VERY carefully...
                    i'm still aware of the risks..

after all i'm still thinking kawasaki swingarm swap...

Comment

how much space you think it'll need to roll freely?

i'll promise, test rides will be taken VERY carefully...
                      i'm still aware of the risks..

after all i'm still thinking kawasaki swingarm swap...

Recomended clearance between the tire and swingarm would be at least 1/2" at all points (sides, ends, fenders, etc... If you run only a radial, it can go a little lower, but not by much. This is for the tire flex only. Please remember on these swingarms (tubed mild steel) not only will your tire flex on curves and speed... your swingarm will flex as well!

Add to this the variables of actual tire widths (vary between makers for the same "listed size".... a 180/55 tire for example can vary from 175 - 185mm actual size when mounted, or more. Overly tight clearances is problematic at the least, just too many variables. The last thing you want to end up with is a mod that is soooo restricting that you end up constantly working/messing with/adjusting it. Or worse, just when you think your set... something major comes up.

I know I wouldn't want to be looking at needing to cut/grind/mod on a swinger I just finished painting and putting back on the bike.... only to find it's not quite right later on after I get a new tire put on. That's just me though.

I'm looking at the work you have done so far... you have pretty major mods to the subframe, and other components to the bike. I know at the very least, there has been some welding done right?

Why not go ahead and do the swingarm mod right. It's not that difficult if you have the resources... Pain in the arse if you don't, sure... but you look to have everything you need to get it done pretty easily.

PM if you need help/suggestions. I can lay it out. My advice is freely given, and I'm more than happy to share any experiance I've had on doing this mod to keep it safe, and as inexpensive as possible.

I've tried just about every way.... there are definately easy ways to do it, and costly/hard/pain in the arse ways of doing it.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

thank you for your concern, i think i'll do it your way...
                        i would be very pleased if you could provide cut angles and cut points.
                        wich material you made the new rear axle, obviously steel, but wich one?

yes, there has been a lot of mods and some welding and there is more to come...

within 2 weeks bike should be teared apart and painted,
                        as soon as i get my fiberglass fairings ready...

Comment

Working...
                        X