X

Air Box re-install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Box re-install

Oh my goodness! The first time I reinstalled the airbox it took me about 15 minutes. Now, the second time, I am still trying to get the darn thing back on after 2+ hours. I finally had to walk away from it before I took my Glock .45 and unloaded on it (just kiddn). Any tricks to gettin it on there. Also, I have noticed that there are 2 locations, 1 on each side of the air box that have screw hole locations. I am missing the screws I think. It looks like there were never any screws in the holes, because their so clean looking. Anyway any help or suggestions are much appreciated.
    Scott

It's a bear huh?
    Ok one this to check is that each boot has a tab and the
    air box has a notch type thing.. This alignes the boots.
    They are angled to match the carbs.

Next make sure the clamps are as loose as you can get them.

Third, take your time.. first set the air box close to the carbs. Then look (use a flash light) to see that all the boots are under the carbs. move in more..
    Check again.. when the boots are just over the carbs
    but not on all the way, check again that all the boots are mateing.. use a long screwdriver to nudge the
    boots.. Then slowly move the air box forward.
    Problem lies (as you may know) that if one boot
    isn't mated right and you back off the air box a different boot will then goof up on you.

I belive it was MD86 who sdaid you can take off the carbs with the airbox.. IMO it si easier to attach the carbs to the head then attach the airbox to the carbs,
    then you can attach the airbox to the carbs with the
    air box free from the frame..

There should be a screw on each side of the air box that secures it to the frame..

Comment

Scott, I had the same problem. So, I know this is somewhat conterintuitive, but its easier for me to get the airbox on with the carbs somewhat out from the engine. But, if you don't want to take the carbs out, you have to unscrew each of the airbox vises all the way out (but it sounds like you don't have any which would create a vacuum leak anyhow)....with the screws all the way out, it should slip on pretty easy...if they don't, you may want to look at your airbox boots.

Comment

air box

Thanks guys, It's gotta be the boots aren't aligned correctly. I'm hoping.
        Scott

Comment

I remember now..
          The boot has a tab and the air box has two
          "pimples" the tab fits between the pimples..

It's still a pain...

Comment

Since it's a pre-98, I have no added words of wisdom. For 98+, the simplest way I've found is:
            Make sure the velocity stacks are on the airbox and the clamps at the end towards the carbs are as loose as possible. Align the velocity stacks up approximately (getting at least one edge of them aligned to the carbs is ideal).
            Put the airbox into approximate location.
            Put the cross-bar above the battery into location. This provides forward pressure on the airbox until the velocity stacks seat at least most of the way -- which means your job is only to get the stacks into position instead of having to align them and keep pushing forward. This makes it much much easier.
            Once you have the stacks over the carbs, don't tighten the clamps yet -- put on the other airbox mounting screws (you'll have to push on the airbox to get them aligned) -- and this will put more forward pressure on the velocity stacks and force them all the way forward.
            Now tighten down the velocity stack clamps.

PS - don't forget the airbox drain hose!

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Take the air filter out , stick your hand inside the airbox to work the boots on , tighten clamps , THEN mount the whole assembly (carbs/airbox) back on the bike . Yeah , MUCH easier to take it all off as one unit .
              Oh yeah , the first time I tried to put the airbox back on my bike , I ended up throwing it across the yard after it kicked my a$$ for about an hour . By the way , check your PM's !
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
              X