Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Exhaust gaskets at the midpipe/collector... Advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust gaskets at the midpipe/collector... Advice?

So today I'm putting in the Jet-coated 750 header and exhaust on my bike and I notice that the exhaust gasket isn't in good shape. No problem, call the dealer -- out of stock. Call the other two dealers -- ditto. Crap. Well, make the old one work until a new one can arrive (I'm supposed to have the bike on the dyno/exhaust analyzer tomorrow for carb tuning)...

So here's the question: Is there an easier way to get the exhaust together when the new gasket arrives? The old one was a bear and a PIA (and the header flanges aren't flush either!).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

i can take the old ones off my bike if they are still in good shape on my old motor, your tlaking bout the gaskets that go in the header ports on the motor right? cuz if so i can get thoes up here for you

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
      i can take the old ones off my bike if they are still in good shape on my old motor, your tlaking bout the gaskets that go in the header ports on the motor right? cuz if so i can get thoes up here for you
      No, I'm specifically talking about the brass brillo-pad type one that sits between the stock collector and the stock midpipe/muffler assembly.

I'm going to order a new one, as well as replacement exhaust header gaskets for the engine in the morning, but it was the 2" oval one that was giving me fits (in part because the ceramic coating was applied over it when they jet-coated the headers).

=-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ooh my bad, never delt with stock exhasut

Comment

Can you put the header on a soft/firm surface (Work table with a blanket over it) and take a small screw driver and hammer and try to chissel it out? Yeah, its gona ruin the coating in the inside, but what else can you really do? Maybe dremmel?
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
          X