No announcement yet.
X

Petcock Positions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just spoke to the guy I bought the bike from .... he says the petcock defiantely wasn't on "Pri" when I took it home.

Somebody screwed with me pretty sure. I like jokes as good or better then the average Jason .... but I don't like people touching my guns, my racecars or my bike

Valves are getting adjusted and oil changed tomorrow .... already had it scheduled.

Comment

Once again, The Vets help out the rookie (me) . Ive only been here two days and can see you guys are probably going to get sick of me asking question. Thanks for this string on the "Pet Cock" it has helped me out.
      http://www.geocities.com/kissarmymc/
      bikerfriend.org You get cool stickers for your cage

Comment

well on mine down is off

Comment

hmm, there's shouldn't be an "off" setting on any katana.

Long Live the D

Comment

On IS off . If fuel flows when the bikes not running (or the tank's off and not set to "prime") , you have a problem .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Just to make sure

Just so I didn't think I was going mad I went out into my garage and pulled my knob....off (couldn't resist petcock and all) it clearly states (and it is original. twelve oclock on 3 oclock pri 6 oclock fuel 9 oclock res. saying this it will not let you turn it to twelve so must we asume (before you say it the knob on mine only fits one way) that the indicator on the knob is there to match the factory stickers. I will take off the tank tomorrow and test and get pics of the diagram behind the knob.
              1996 Suzuki gsx-f 750 fighter
              1988 Yamaha tzr 250 with tt350 fourstroke fitted
              2004 Schwinn stingray with 80cc twostroke fitted

Comment

Re: Just to make sure

Originally posted by debaser
                twelve oclock on 3 oclock pri 6 oclock fuel 9 oclock res. saying this it will not let you turn it to twelve so must we asume (before you say it the knob on mine only fits one way)
                Wait:
                12 o'clock = on
                3 o'clock = pri
                6 o'clock = fuel
                9 o'clock = res..
                And you say the knob won't turn to 12..
                Right?

12 o'clock should say fuel.. but that is because
                it is the fuel switch..
                6 o'clock should be ON..
                And you should only be able to turn it from
                3 to 6 to 9, (or 9 to 6 to 3)
                but not 3 to 12 or 9 to 12..

Comment

got a shot of my petcock

Now something else I noticed just to cunfuse the situstion more is that the clip-plate with the stamped res pri fuel on can be taken off and replaced upside down?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ha

So if I unclipped it so no was at 6 and read on res would be at 3 on would be at 6 (not 12 and say no which it cant point to anyway) and pri would be nine. With the knob on I can only move between 9 6 and 3 I always run it at 6. Confused ???? I am. The pointer is on the flat part of the tap before anyone asks.

Comment

What is the best way to clean the petcock? When I took mine off to get the tank ready for cleaning/sealing, I actually turned it to prime (3 o'clock) and none of the nasty 3 year old gas ran out.

Comment

Just got my bike, and left it on PRI over night. Strong gas this morning. Any damage done? First bike I ever had that had no "off" position. What is the PRI for?
                        Current: 1992 Katana 750
                        Sold: 2001 Shadow 750

Comment

Originally posted by atlas750
                          Just got my bike, and left it on PRI over night. Strong gas this morning. Any damage done? First bike I ever had that had no "off" position. What is the PRI for?
                          You may have a stuck float..
                          The carb has a valve that shuts off the fuel when the bowl fills.
                          If the float sticks or the valve leakes the bowl will over fill leaking into the engine. Check your oil. If it is over full then you have gas in there.
                          Change the oil ASAP!

Since the petcock is vacuum operated it only opens when the engine is running. If your carb bowls are empty ( for various reasons) the engine can't start. Switching to PRI overrides the vacuum switch and runs fuel to the carbs. Basiclly the switch to vacuum petcocks is in an attempt to
                          idiot proof the thing.. IMO..

If you have ever run out of gas on a bike with a vacuum petcock but no PRI setting you will bow to Suzi's wisdom of using it..

Comment

Originally posted by martinkh
                            What is the best way to clean the petcock? When I took mine off to get the tank ready for cleaning/sealing, I actually turned it to prime (3 o'clock) and none of the nasty 3 year old gas ran out.
                            i bought a "rebuild kit" for mine. all it was was a new gasket, spring, and filter thing, and only cost me like $20 i think? instead of just cleaning it, best to go ahead and replace the parts in it since it's not expensive.

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
                            "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

if youve been running on prime for any length of time new plugs probably wouldnt hurt

Comment

Jeez , have you guys bveen paying attention ? If your floats are doing what they're supposed to , no worries . It's only if they are NOT that you'll have flooded it . In which case , the plugs MAY be fine after being dried off , it'd be a good idea to dribble some oil down the cylinders (use a straw so you don't make a mess) , and MAYBE need to change the oil if it's bad enough .
                                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                                X