Oh Crappers. Big Big Problem. Please help. Front Turn Signal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Crappers. Big Big Problem. Please help. Front Turn Signal

So I was doing an oil change.

I successfully got the bike on the center stand using a hydro jack.

After oil change, I used the jack to get the bike off the center stand....

bike was 8 inch off ground

tipped to right side

couldnt hold on

lost grip

bike went over

Right Turn Signal light broken

Luckily though, nothing else was broken. And the oil change was a success, minus the tip over at the end....

Where / What are the best (cheapest) options I have for fixing the light? I was thinking this was a good opportunity to got clears?

thanks.
    2001 GSXF 600

Front or rear signal? I'm guessing it was the front...

Front: eBay or the dealer. There's an aftermarket generic version available through JCWhitney (& any PartsUnlimited capable dealer/shop, which is virtually every dealer/shop in the USA) last time I looked, as well -- the generic should save you about 20%.

Then there's also the clear & other colored-ones available from ClearAlternatives.com -- if you go that route, make sure you check the members specials section here for the discount code for our members.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hey cyberpoet

to the rescue again. thanks again for the advice

would you have any specific sites with prices?

thanks again
      2001 GSXF 600

Comment

by the way, this was for the front right signal
        2001 GSXF 600

Comment

Originally posted by solidfish
          would you have any specific sites with prices?
          OEM:
          RonAyers.com
          mrcycles.com
          etc...

Aftermarket clone of the OEM: JCWhitney.com

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

dude....wtf are you using a jack to get the bike on the center stand for?

next time you go to the dealers, ask them to show you how it is done. I can explain quickly if you can follow directions.

that little arm sticking out from the stand....with the flat pad.....step on it with all your weight while balancing the bike. You can lift by grabbing the grab bar or under the side. It is not all that difficult unless you only weigh 125lbs or something.

Whatever, learn how to use it properly from someone.
            If you don't plan on doing this and sticking with the jack each time, you might as well order a few extra flashers (for both sides) while you are at it, cuz it will probably be going down again.

I really want to laugh, cuz I find it a funny way to drop a bike, but out of respect for the broken flasher......and the guts it takes to come on here and admit to something like that with no hesitation at all, I won't.
            If that happened to me, I would probably refrain from sharing how I really dropped it and just asked where I could buy a flasher...lol.

But seriously....that sux. Try ebay.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Do not forget this one as well:

This is what I do, but I use the passenger peg.

Comment

Take the cowlings off and practice if you need to, but a jack to get the bike on the center stand?!
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Actually I can see a new guy using assist on getting it
                    on the stand.. However this is not were Solidfish had his problem..

Solidfish:
                    Next time sit on the bike and rock it forward.
                    Make sure you have a good grip on the bars and
                    the side stand up!!
                    The bike will tip off the stand, it will fold up and you
                    have a firm grip on the bars and both feet to steady the bike. Often we talk about getting it on the stand.
                    Getting it off is not talked about!

Comment

BP brings up a good point, except that many of us are not tall enough to walk a Kat off of the centerstand.

To lower my bike I grab the left handle bar and the passenger peg. I then just rock the bike forward. Once the wheels touch down I pull the bike to me a little and put down the side stand. I usually do this with the bike in neutral, but I am not sure if it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                        BP brings up a good point, except that many of us are not tall enough to walk a Kat off of the centerstand.
                        I don't think you have to use your feet..
                        I bet you can rock the bike off the stand even if you can't touch.
                        It doesn't take much, just avoid the instict of grabbing the front brake before it's tipping!
                        I catch my self doing that!
                        However once it goes "over center" (starts tipping off the stand) you can use the brake to slow the "fall"..
                        To lower my bike I grab the left handle bar and the passenger peg. I then just rock the bike forward. Once the wheels touch down I pull the bike to me a little and put down the side stand. I usually do this with the bike in neutral, but I am not sure if it matters.
                        See that would scare the poop out of me.
                        You're a burly blacksmith though!

Comment

There are a dozen ways to skin that Kat. I am afraid to climb on the bike when it is on the centerstand. Forget about rocking it off of the stand and hoping to land on my feet.

In the end it takes some trial and error to find a method that you feel comfortable with and a little practice to get the technique down pat. Being able to get the Kat on and off of the centerstand with out help is a very useful skill.

Comment

Clear Alternatives is the way to go!

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                              Take the cowlings off and practice if you need to, but a jack to get the bike on the center stand?!
                              Originally posted by tzortn
                              There are a dozen ways to skin that Kat.
                              Taking all this advice above (concerning centerstands, getting on & off them) and combining it together, the only added bit I have is don't take the fairings off to practice. Fairings may be pricey, but they're still cheaper than damaging the frame (or scratching frames and leading to long-term rust/weakness).

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X