X

Clutch Woes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Woes

Alright... So my clutch release arm bucket was broken and I got a new to me one from MD86. So after replacing the arm and re-assembling my bike I am still having a problem.

The problem that I am having right now is I cannot get the clutch to disengage, meaning when I place the bike into first from neutral when the bike is running the clutch is still engaged and the bike just stalls out. I have adjusted the clutch cable multiple times to no avail. The clutch arm moves and is not binding up.... So what is wrong?

I called the dealer ship and talked to the service tech. He told me that the bike had been sitting thru the winter(which it had) that the clutch plates might be stuck together and that I should take the bike out, rev the engine and just dump the clutch and that might unstick the plates.

The question I have about his suggestion is this. Won't that hurt my clutch if the plates are not stuck together?

could be stuck yeah. But don't forget that there is an adjusting screw directly on the shift mechanism. Behind the little rubber, you will see the other side of the pusher. You can also adjust this way. look in the service manual. To look for clutch plates, it is not quite difficult :

remove the cltuch cover. Remove springs (at least for a 1989 - my model - I dont really know about diaphragm cltuches) and pull cltuch basket. You will then see the friction plates. they can me removed by hand.

Take a look also if the front sprocket cover is firmly seated in place.

Good Luck !

Lp

Comment

It's probably just that screw/locknut adjustment since the new lifter mechanism was put in . I highly doubt the clutch got stuck like that just from sitting a couple of months .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Alright... so tonight I tried using the adjustment that is inside the rubber gromet thing... Well after moving that adjuster around... I am still having the same problem. I am not sure what the next move should be.... any suggestions?

Comment

how would you qualify the pressure on clutch lever ?

If it is very easy to pull, then maybe adjusting still necessary

I'd look for pressure plates next.

Lp

Comment

Working...
          X