X

Feels like I'm driving a 2X4?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feels like I'm driving a 2X4?

Well... I've been having some concerns about driving on the highway and how "bumpy" the road seems to feel.

I've tried to solve my suspension woes by reading the manual that came with the bike, but what the manual says, doesn't match what I can see on the bike...

I'm going to be a pain in the butt and ask, how do you tweak the suspension settings on a post Kat?

Like I said, I've followed the manual, and I don't see what the **** the manual is talking about...
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

Ask Tmod over on the suspension forum. He is the guru around here.
    Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

The stock suspension is quite lacking for anyone who weighs more than 100lbs.

I would turn the preload all the way up, then the TENS setting all the way to the right.

Besides that you are looking for some new parts.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've been wondering about this as well. This is my first bike and I've only ridden a little, but my dad ripped around in it last night for awhile and said it doesn't ride very well when thrown around a corner.

He said maybe the suspension needed adjusted, but we weren't sure how to do that. I did find this thread today and was going to give it a shot.

I noticed last night that the screw adjustment at the top of my forks didn't seem to be the same. I didn't actually turn them and count clicks, but they aren't pointing the same direction.

Comment

The calculation for sag in that thread is wrong.

Should be: Sag=S1-[(S3+S2)/2]

"Doesn't ride well when thrown into a corner" isn't exactly firm feedback. That depends on what you compare the ride too. Of course it doesn't turn as fast as a GSXR, or accelerate like a CBR... but it will take a lickin and keep on tickin.
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            "Doesn't ride well when thrown into a corner" isn't exactly firm feedback.
            I'm not really sure what he meant with that statement either, but I don't have anything to compare it to since I've never rode before.

He just basically said that it didn't handle like he thought it should, but that since he never rode one that was new he really didn't have anything to compare it to either.

Comment

It's a sport tourer, not a super bike. Of course it's not gonna rail like crazy, although it will do just fine when set up properly. Remember, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Comment

I guess the issue we ran into was if that was just the way the bike was, or if it needed some adjustment. The problem is that neither of us have a valid comparison. I'll follow the adjustment procedure I found in the other thread and that should remove any doubt.

Comment

Have you ever driven a 2X4? It could handle like a dream.

Comment

Our cub scouts built push carts out of 2x4s. Actually handled pretty well. Brakes sucked though.
                    “If you don’t like change, you will like being irrelevant even less.”
                    -Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld

2002 DRZ400E
                    1994 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
                      I guess the issue we ran into was if that was just the way the bike was, or if it needed some adjustment. The problem is that neither of us have a valid comparison. I'll follow the adjustment procedure I found in the other thread and that should remove any doubt.
                      Not to criticise, but that thread is highly outdated and needs a refresh from one of the more "seasoned" members on here.

That thread that you posted up has some awesome info on it, but all of the links are dead and the pictures are non-existant now... this isn't helping anyone...

If someone would be so kind to point me in another direction...?

I'll use some of the info from that thread, but if the sag formula is wrong, pics are missing and extra links aren't there anymore... it doesn't deserve a sticky IMPO.
                      - Aaron

Comment

I'm not sure what information you are looking for. Using the information from that thread is an excellent baseline to get things adjusted.

After that you are looking at replacing parts.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                          I'm not sure what information you are looking for. Using the information from that thread is an excellent baseline to get things adjusted.

After that you are looking at replacing parts.
                          Pics and links that still exist. If I don't know what I'm looking at, there is no point in changing anything on my bike.

Sure there are descriptions of what to look for, but I still feel like I'm going in blind. Doesn't help much...

EDIT: and who is Tmod? And we have a "suspension" dedicated forum? I still don't see it haha.
                          - Aaron

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3flKxf41U"]Motorcycle Suspension - Setting Sag - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArBc2FJkao&feature=related"]Twist Of The Wrist II -SAG adjustment - YouTube[/ame]
                            Last edited by steves; 08-17-2011, 09:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Those vids look good. Thanks for posting them up.

I'll see if I can't figure out what all to do from here on out.

Too bad they weren't using a post Kat hahaha.
                              - Aaron

Comment

Working...
                              X