X

Oh Crappers. Big Big Problem. Please help. Front Turn Signal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solidfish
    well thanks for the inputs. is there vid out there of anyone putting the bike off the stand (like the one of guy lifting it onto the stand)?

Seems to be a few options. But i dont like any of them. Sounds risky for another drop...

if i drop my bike agian, im going to sell it for a 280lb 250cc ninja...

I don't have a vid of it, but if CP doesn't get one, I'll have my husband take one while I bring my Kat off the centerstand.

It's really not that hard, get a spotter if it'll make you feel better the first time. Honestly, the sensation is VERY similar to a hard stop at a stop light, where the bike seems to lunge a bit when you're braking, as the nose drops (if you've ever stopped hard, no skid at a red light, you know what I'm getting at).

I'm 5'8", and around 160 (can't believe I'm actually admitting my weight), AND female and I can pop my 2001 off the centerstand by myself (and that's even with bags fully loaded when I have to boogie off for my commute). Getting the bike UP on center is another story for me though, because the bags make me stand too far out, and my back is bad. Bleh.

If you keep your own center of gravity low while mounting the bike, you won't pull it over on yourself, and then just lean forward (you'll find that you can actually tip the BIKE'S center of gravity forward and back WITHOUT taking it off the centerstand, like a kid's teeter-totter?) and put your toes/balls of your feet down. As long as you can get your feet down, you CAN bring the bike down without incident (Heck, even WITHOUT being able to reach, you can do it - I can bring my husband's Kawa ZR750 off of center, and I absolutely cannot touch before that bike is down). WEAR REAL BOOTS or SHOES, no flip flops or bare feet. Probably obvious, but give yourself the benefit of good traction.

I'm assuming you're putting your bike on center on a level surface, right? If so, then you're golden. Get a spotter the first time or so, make sure the front wheel is straight, and be ready to grab the front brake when the bike goes forward and you'll be fine. When you hear the stand clunk up is about when you want to apply brake, not before. Just keep your feet out there on either side like landing gear and the bike won't come over.

Kat
    2001 Suzuki Katana 600. If you see a bright blue rocket with a blonde girl in raspberry & black gear go flying past on the way to San Marcos, Texas..... that's me!

Comment

Originally posted by sidhepro
      I don't have a vid of it, but if CP doesn't get one, I'll have my husband take one while I bring my Kat off the centerstand.
      Heh... I'll not make the vid just to get you to post one

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Very bad CP. VERY bad.

Not sure what format my digi-cam uses, probably crappy .mov files, but hey, it'll work in a pinch, aye?

Kat
        2001 Suzuki Katana 600. If you see a bright blue rocket with a blonde girl in raspberry & black gear go flying past on the way to San Marcos, Texas..... that's me!

Comment

For those individuals who aren't tall enough to rock the bike off the centerstand, use this method:

Sprint at it from the rear.
          Jump up in the air.
          Land on the bike and your forward momentum should push the bike off the centerstand.

If you're good enough, you can even start the bike and take off without ever putting your feet on the ground. Guys will want to be you. Girls will want to be with you.
          What the deuce!?!

Comment

Originally posted by bamarama
            For those individuals who aren't tall enough to rock the bike off the centerstand, use this method:

Sprint at it from the rear.
            Jump up in the air.
            Land on the bike and your forward momentum should push the bike off the centerstand.

If you're good enough, you can even start the bike and take off without ever putting your feet on the ground. Guys will want to be you. Girls will want to be with you.
            I just have images of Olympic Vaulting Events.

Kat

Comment

Ditto on Mojoe's comments.

Also, my preference only but I never ever try to take it off the centerstand unless I am on it and rock it forward. Just preference but it would be too easy to lose it. Why risk dropping her?

As for bamarama, his method is the best and most effective. You just have to practice in your head first before tyring it!
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

If you are nervous, use the front brake to control the decent of the bike. If you feel it start to fall over, bring the weight of the bike toward your body so you can better control it.

The kat isn't as easy to get on the center stand as my bandit is, but it's not hard either.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Another option is a rear bike stand like one of these...

My '02 Kat didn't come with a center stand when I purchased my bike but then again I purchased it used so it may have been removed by the previous owners. I have one myself and its very easy to use. (At least I think so)

Comment

Working...
                  X