Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry to hear about the bad luck

Comment

Originally posted by etcthorne
      Went riding again this afternoon - 50 miles.

That's it, Katana for sale in Virginia Beach. Just had 600 mile service done - 800 miles total. Not dropped, brand new - stays in garage, covered.
      sorry to hear that. like I said before you could try some bar risers. they would put you in a more upright riding position. for longer rides I try to scoot forward on the seat so my riding position is as upright as possible. (get something to keep the jewels out of the way for long rides also.) also use your back muscles and keep your weight off your hands. you can also try some gel gloves.

Comment

It was worth a shot! You never know!
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

do u squeese the tank with his legs
          06 KAT 600

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous

Comment

When I first got my Kat I had the same issues, hands, neck back etc. Now after 2,500miles on the bike no pains at all, could almost take nap I'm so comfortable. I believe at first riders have a tendensey to tense up. There is also a sweet spot You find on the bike were You gain alot of support from the tank. Thats about the best way I can describe it without being too graphic.
            2006 GSX600F

Comment

You might try these: http://www.convertibars.com/HowItWorks.cfm

I was thinking about them, but I have gotten used to the position now. I'm not very tall and when I started on the Kat, I had trouble with getting my head up high enough to actually see. I still have trouble if I have to turn my head more than 90 degrees. I try to arch my back. That helps quite a bit.
              1995 Suzuki Katana 600
              1981 Suzuki GS450 (Only moves when I push it)

I am "a halfway decent rider and wise-ass who is way too narcissistic for his or her own good." (Results of http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm, July 12, 2006)

Comment

I find it important to stretch and keep my head and neck moving during a long ride, especially a long freeway drone. Look as far as you can to each side (not too long!) and all the way down and all the way back. Make sure that you have plenty of room before you do this, of course. I also arch my back in and out and move my head side to side. Pay attention to your posture on the the bike too as you get tired and try to maintain good position on the bike (no slumping or slouching, weight off the hands, back straight, etc.)

My neck was a little sore for the first couple months, but I guess I adapted because it doesn't bother me now.

Comment

Also, this is not unique to Kats. A friend has a nice Honda liter bike, all outfitted for touring, and he told me he has the same problems. His method is to adjust position all the time. This really helps me. I'll drop my elbow to my thigh, or my left hand to my hip, and change riding positions frequently. As for the numbness, I have to focus not to hold on too tight. Also, I accidentally bought some Joe Rocket mesh gloves that are a size or so too small. My hands stopped going numb. I also grip the tank more with my legs and less grip on the bars.
                  MikeG
                  Central Oregon
                  2006 Suzuki GSX600F
                  (That's a Katana for non-insurance-agent people!)

Comment

Take a tip from road bicylist, who ride in a similar head-down position- we keep our heads down and roll our eyes up a bit. Does not take long for it to be a habit, you loose the rear-neck pain, and your eyeball muscles do not start to hurt, either.
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Id buy a set of Progrips to replace the stock grips. They keep the buzzing down and the gloves grip better on them, then the stock grips. This might help to keep the hands from going numb. Keep your legs squeezed to the tank as you dont want any weight on the bars at all.

Comment

onthedot As for the numbness, I have to focus not to hold on too tight. Also, I accidentally bought some Joe Rocket mesh gloves that are a size or so too small. My hands stopped going numb.

My right hand goes numb all the time but I'm not sure iif its the gloves or grip. The gloves fit good except for the thumb which is allways pulled tight. So I got a throttle rocker and haven't had aproblem with the gloves or numbness cured both problems. Hopefully the Throttle rocker will help to train me not to grip so tight and better hand postitioning.

I also just got gel progrips but havent had a chance to put them on.

Comment

Working...
                        X