Cadillac of Doom

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
    Originally posted by Flip
    Doesnt anyone know accident protocol any more? The police dont need to be called, all you need is vehicle and driver information. He obviously claims the blame.

I cant stand it when people get into a fender bender (a typical rear ender where blame is obvious) and the idiots call the police and leave their cars right in the middle of the road for a half an hour. It block up everything!
    Unfortunately, calling for the police can ensure you are not 'faulted' by the insurance company. A 'gentlemen' backed up hard into me with his Ford truck and wanted to avoid calling the police. I said 'no way' and insisted the vehicles stay where they are. When the police came, he tried to blame me for the accident saying I rammed into him from behind. Thankfully, the police officier didn't buy his story based on what he saw at the accident site and faulted him for the incident. My insistence saved me thousands of dollars in insurance premiums.

My advice. Don't take any chances with anyone. It is refreshing to see honest people but you don't know if the person that hit you is honest.
    no doubt you have to get that police report. for the repoty to be accurate the cop needs to see the accident scene and make notes of the tire marks and all that.

my sister rear ended someone at a stop light, very minor like 5-10mph bump. few small dents in the other persons bumper no big deal at all. the other driver told my sis not to worry about police/insurance companys that shed just get an estimate and give it to my sis. well the estimate came in for over 5grand, my sis was pissed at 5grand for a few dents in a bumper. a friend of the family who was an insurance adjuster or something said shes screwed. my sis cant prove any type of damages that she caused or didnt cause. the frame of the other car could have been all jacked up and suddenly now my sis is responsable for it cause she 'trusted' the other person.
    03 katanika

Comment

Whatever, if my car is drivable, i'm getting it off the road. If your first instinct is to think the other guy is a jerk, then you're a pretty big jerk yourself.

I always file a report with my insurance company, too, they usually handle it from there and things always turn out right. The only way to get screwed is to not call your insurance company as soon as you get home.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip
        Whatever, if my car is drivable, i'm getting it off the road. If your first instinct is to think the other guy is a jerk, then you're a pretty big jerk yourself.

I always file a report with my insurance company, too, they usually handle it from there and things always turn out right. The only way to get screwed is to not call your insurance company as soon as you get home.
        the first thing your insurance company will say is ' you should have called the police'. it says so right on my insurance card lol.
        03 katanika

Comment

Alright, fair enough, call the police, but move your car first!

Comment

I've had three hit and runs in this year alone. Luckily all in my car, and luckily two of them I had witnesses and got the other person. The one I didn't get was a tractor trailer truck that bumped me four times in stopped traffic. I couldn't really stop though because traffic started flowing and we were blocking a major rush hour route after a toll booth. Once we got on the highway we were going to I started to pull over but the trucker kept going. I tried to get the police out there and I even gave them the plate number, but the trucker ended up swerving accross two lanes and taking an exit at a point where I couldn't get there and he got away. The police didn't do anything or care.

My rate won't go up, but I have to shell out my $500 deductible. Part of my hesitation to stop all the traffic was I was afraid the trucker was whacked out and probably carrying some sort of weapon. I think if anything like that happens again I will just say to hell with it and block them and get out. The police (around here at least) don't make any effort to help you track someone down. They didn't even run the plate number until two days later after I asked them to a few times.

The plate number they say I told them has been expired for five years, and was used on a truck in virginia. The plate number I think it might have been (one more 8 in it) the insurance company talked to and the guy said his trucks have never been in MA and he wouldn't give them his insurance information.

Comment

In case anybody was wondering, everything is finally being sorted out.

The guy only works mondays and fridays, so I had to wait until today to talk to him about paying for the damage.

So I had the quote, $100 for required parts (mirror, signal arm, clutch lever) and labor, and I brought it over to him. At first, he was extremely reluctant to pay a cent more than the quote was for. He said that we had only discussed him paying for the light and mirror, and none of the left fairing.
              Took everything in me to stop from just yelling at him and telling him what a bad person he is for just not caring. Finally, after extended "discussion", he finally just coughed up an extra $200.

So, if I get the fairing fixed, painted, etc, it'll be between $350-450. The bike is an 88, so I'm thinking I'll either try to repair the cracks in it myself, and then paint it, or buy a new one and install it myself. Haven't decided yet, I don't know how well fixing it will work (never fiberglasses anything before or whatever).

So yeah, overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. Wish it had never happened, but I'm glad we didn't have to get insurance involved.
              Red 1988 600F

Comment

Glad to hear you got what you wanted out of him. Besides, you know where he works, so if he didn't pay you could just egg his car every day until he did.

A friend of mine once had a woman throw a whole dozen eggs out her apartment window onto his car. The police said that it doesn't count as property damage and there was nothing they could do. They actually treated him like he was the one that did something wrong.

Comment

i still think it would have been better to called the police and HIS insurance.

Comment

you better think about telling ur insurance co. one time a friend of mine hit a car while he was in his.the other guy never reported it cause my friend said he would pay for it.now here is the catch,you only get about a week to file a claim.so after about a week , my friend told the guy to screw off.he never had to pay,nor did his insurance co., cause it was after the time limit.
                    just a heads up to the potential scam.good luck..
                    << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
                    KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

i got tagged in the rear end on my kat at a stop light yesterday, and left my bike laying in the road until the cops showed up, does that make me a jerk for "blocking the road"? oh yeah, iwas also laying right beside it before i tried to get up, which i eventually did and walk away, that guys insurance is going to hate my arse when i get done with them...red lights mean STOP!!!! get off your damn cell phone!!!!!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Make him pay!
                        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Too True with Cell's and Cars.
                          Funny I called my dad a couple days ago (he was driving) He told me hang on, as i hear him drop the phone and pull off in a parking lot to finish talking to me. at first i thought he was just being safe. Until he told me about the Law in effect where he lives (New York)
                          He told me Yapping on cell phone is a siteable offence (i think its around a $300 Ticket if memory serves) And 2 Points on your License.
                          Honestly, I think all states need a law like this.
                          Anyone in NY confirm this law??

Comment

Originally posted by KRAZYKAT
                            you better think about telling ur insurance co. one time a friend of mine hit a car while he was in his.the other guy never reported it cause my friend said he would pay for it.now here is the catch,you only get about a week to file a claim.so after about a week , my friend told the guy to screw off.he never had to pay,nor did his insurance co., cause it was after the time limit.
                            just a heads up to the potential scam.good luck..
                            ..you said friend?
                            Red 1988 600F

Comment

Originally posted by teddy
                              get off your damn cell phone!!!!!!
                              Damn right, I love the amount of "fingers" i get when do a "Hang up" motion to some bone head trying to make a left turn while on a cell phone driving a stick shift.

Just waiting for one of these idiots to have too much multitasking and run off the road trying to flip me off. (while shifting, eating, applying makup, doing hair, drinking coffee, smoking a cigarette, and talking on the cell phone!)
                              ~Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X