X

so i decided to repaint my katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i decided to repaint my katana

well i took my baby apart, the guy that i bought it from broke bunch of screws on it and what not, soo i have to order all new stuff, i primered everything now, had a alot of trouble primering the fairings where the stickers were on since i sanded em down and you could notice were the stickers were after the primer, so i body filled the areas and re primered and you cant even notice it now, onlyl thing i havnt done yet is sand down the tank and primer that up because it has that damn ingraded suzuki stickers on both sides and am not sure how to go about that, if any1 has any easy hints id appreciate it, and the color am painting the bike is alpine white 300 cant wait till everythign gets done!! will post pics whenever its finished

Sounds like fun!!!
    I repaint every couple years lol!
    1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
    1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
    Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Can tell ya what i did with mine. Go to home depot and get a gallon of the concrete and driveway stripper (grey jug).
      Get latex gloves (whole box) and a crappy set of paint brushes.

DRAIN THE TANK THOROUGHLY !!!
      All you do is strip the tank of its cap, petcock and sending unit and rubber grommets.
      Then lay down cardboard or a sheetton of newspaper in well ventilated area.
      Use rubbing alcohol or acetone to clean the surface of the tank, (remembering your gloves)... and then apply the thick (like sourcream consistency) stripper in a thick coating all over the tank.
      Then wait. You'll have to reapply every hour maybe. After a few hours the paint and stickers will start to bubble or flake up. Take a bit of sandpaper (400 grit or higher is what i use) or a wire brush and just brush the stuff off.

When its all off, just clean real good with acetone or alcohol and then prime and paint.
      "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time!" - Tolstoy

Comment

or use sand paper, faster and much cleaner
        never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
        Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
        confused katana build

Comment

Working...
        X