Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

2000 katana for $120, what could go wrong?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 katana for $120, what could go wrong?

Hello everyone, I found a great offer the other day from a friend of mine. He has a 2000 katana 600 that has been sitting in his garage for the last year or two.

This is what I know about the bike so far

-Said it was parked because it had gas in the oil, or the other way around. I forgot.
    -missing right faring (sp?)
    -hole in gas tank supposedly filled
    -he said the repair (he said it was a gasket of some sort) was going to be $500 including labor according to the shop they got a quote from
    -said other odds and ends may be wrong/missing. says he honestly doesn't know much about the bike either

I've talked him to $120 for it. best part? the title is in hand!

Now then, I am completely clueless on bikes. I've skimmed through this forum and others oogling over all your pretty bikes but in the end I'm still clueless. I have no motorcycle license, or any training. I am heavily mechanically inclined, and work on cars for fun. I understand this could get pricey, but I really don't see how I could go wrong picking up an ENTIRE bike with title for $120..

I have not seen it in person yet, and I will see it this wednesday. That's what brings me here. What do I need to look out for on this bike? where are the problem areas? If it's going to cost an absurd amount to restore, Is atleast the frame and title worth something parted out?

Tl;DR: I found an entire 2000 katana that doesn't run for $120. What are the high wear parts to check for? how do I even begin to evaluate if it's worth restoring, and if it isn't, would I atleast be able to recoup most money parting out?

Thanks everyone, I look forward to officially joining the community soon.

1.) Parts are cheap, because its an old bike. If you think you're going to make money parting it out, enjoy sitting on all the parts no one wants for a LONG time...especially since its a 600.

2.) If you're trying to flip it for profit, find something else.

3.) The engine and drivetrain is super simple. Rebuild the fuel system including all 4 carbs, new tires, new chain and sprockets, new plugs, POR15 gas tank, new battery, flush brake systems, new fork oil, adjust the valves etc etc...

Do all of that and you should have a turn key bike for a bit over $1k if you can do all the work yourself and are patient with finding parts.
    Last edited by scottynoface; 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

welcome. nice find. chain and sprockets are the fastest wear items. change the oil and check the air filter and spark plugs. the wiki has a manual for download. where in Ga. are you?
      Last edited by KAT TOY; 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll go check the wiki.

edit- here is a pic of it
        Attached Files

Comment

You couldnt pay me to haul that to the dump...have you tried starting it?
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            You couldnt pay me to haul that to the dump...have you tried starting it?
            No, my work schedule has been hectic and so has my friend's. The planets finally aligned and I got a day off to go check it out wednesday.

also, I'm curious.. how do you determine it's a dump from one crappy cellphone picture? If there is something wrong with it that you actually see PLEASE let me know.
            Last edited by Conor1148; 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Here is what I would do. Buy it, find a motorcycle salvage place with garage. Work there for free parts, rebuild the bike for cheap. Make sure you paint Christine on gas tank at the end. Enjoy riding and life changing attitude. Make sure you don't let wife, kids, family, etc. near it! If you go to where you have it parked and its not there, please don't call cops reporting it stolen, give it a day or two and keep checking tv news for weird accidents and deaths of people you talked bad about or talk bad about the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor1148 View Post
                also, I'm curious.. how do you determine it's a dump from one crappy cellphone picture? If there is something wrong with it that you actually see PLEASE let me know.
                One man's trash is another man's treasure. You said you are mechanically inclined, so get the manual, get the bike, and go to work. While you are fixing it up you can take the MSF class (or whatever GA offers). Worst case scenario, you can't get it to run and you part it out. $120?? Good deal IMHO.
                "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Imo $120 is never a bad deal. If you manage to sell even a few parts (worst case scenario) you would get your money back, guaranteed.
                  It looks like it's worth the effort of rebuilding though, but like you said, we can't rightfully judge from one cell phone picture.
                  What shape is that frame in? It looks a bit bent right next to the cylinder head. Might just look like that because of all the dust, though.
                  Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

For $120 go for it. If you part it out you should easily be able to make that back.

Comment

If nothing else it will be a FANTASTIC learning experience for you. Just take you time and do it right!

Comment

Hellzbellz the gas tank (undented) and petcock together are worth what you paid for the whole bike !!!!

Get a wrench (and soap and water) and get to work man !!!
                        "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time!" - Tolstoy

Comment

That bike + me+ 1 week + less than $150 invested in parts = sells for $1500.

I'd be all over it in a heart beat. It could be running before the end of the week.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by silcoxa View Post
                            Here is what I would do. Buy it, find a motorcycle salvage place with garage. Work there for free parts, rebuild the bike for cheap. Make sure you paint Christine on gas tank at the end. Enjoy riding and life changing attitude. Make sure you don't let wife, kids, family, etc. near it! If you go to where you have it parked and its not there, please don't call cops reporting it stolen, give it a day or two and keep checking tv news for weird accidents and deaths of people you talked bad about or talk bad about the bike.
                            Extra life.

Comment

This is all exactly what I wanted to hear!

also, about what looks like a bend at the cylinder head.. I'm not sure. My guess is probably It was layed down, that is why the faring is missing. It looks very dusty, but from what I can tell from comparing to other pics I don't think there is a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X