Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

And the lord said, "Let there be Katana"...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      Seems like every over 10k posts had the magic of getting their katana sucked out of them...so I changed the post to reflect their levels of shared excitement in this thread...not trying to hate, sorry I got excited...

Anyways...

Was pretty impressed when my stock kat kept on the *** of an r6 whipping around the backroads on the outside of town. That battleaxe in the back keeps that thing flicking back an forth pretty damn well...
      Last edited by rph12; 07-23-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rph12 View Post
        Seems like every over 10k posts had the magic of getting their katana sucked out of them...so I changed the post to reflect their levels of shared excitement in this thread...not trying to hate, sorry I got excited...

Anyways...

Was pretty impressed when my stock kat kept on the *** of an r6 whipping around the backroads on the outside of town. That battleaxe in the back keeps that thing flicking back an forth pretty damn well...
        it's not a question of having anything sucked out of us....it's just being realistic. you know...been around long enough to know the difference between an awesome deal, and a fair deal...or just plain getting screwed.

and once you have owned the katana long enough, you will have gone through enough tires to know the battleaxe kinda sucks, and a katana won't keep up with an r1 if the guy on the r1 knows how to ride.

with that said, it's ok to be excited, but why not "learn" something in the process? nothing I am saying is to criticize....it's just fact. you know...like a custom paint job doesn't increase the value of the bike, or that a kat won't beat an r1....especially a new rider on a bike the size of the kat, who by the sounds of it went up against a guy on an r1 who probably can't ride it to it's full potential....

but hey...if you would just rather be humored and patronized, well, I can do that too.

bottom line, if you are happy with your purchase, then that is all that counts. I just don't see why you would not want to learn a few things that you may now be slightly "misguided" about, in the process.
        Last edited by Mojoe; 07-23-2012, 11:05 PM.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
          it's not a question of having anything sucked out of us....it's just being realistic. you know...been around long enough to know the difference between an awesome deal, and a fair deal...or just plain getting screwed.

and once you have owned the katana long enough, you will have gone through enough tires to know the battleaxe kinda sucks, and a katana won't keep up with an r1 if the guy on the r1 knows how to ride.

with that said, it's ok to be excited, but why not "learn" something in the process? nothing I am saying is to criticize....it's just fact. you know...like a custom paint job doesn't increase the value of the bike, or that a kat won't beat an r1....especially a new rider on a bike the size of the kat, who by the sounds of it went up against a guy on an r1 who probably can't ride it to it's full potential....

but hey...if you would just rather be humored and patronized, well, I can do that too.

bottom line, if you are happy with your purchase, then that is all that counts. I just don't see why you would not want to learn a few things that you may now be slightly "misguided" about, in the process.

It was an r6, not a liter...I'm aware of the difference...and also not naive enough to believe I could actually run with a liter SS. I didn't say I could run him in a straight quarter mile, I said it was keeping up with him...not bad for a nine year old sport tourer on back roads. Been used to running the 250 that just didn't have enough *oomph* to follow in the turns at speed. Also, I said the battleaxe was keeping up with it, not that it is "z0mg b3st t1re ev3r". It was getting the job done.

Check the pittsburgh craigslist and see what's around, maybe it'll make more sense why it was a deal compared to the others (the 04 with 12k miles for 1700 is the first one I went to look at and passed on because the guy had a lien through a CU and was shady...and it had nasty roadrash).

The guys around here I ride with who are on the gsxr 750's and busas were more excited about seeing a kat around (not saying they're better than anyone here on a kat...I know bigger bike doesn't necessarily mean bigger riding skill...) than the fellow kat riders on here...just a little surprising is all.

But, to put it all in perspective, I'm the new guy, I know. I should be saying thank you to all the experienced guys who bothered to respond. I look forward to running into some kats at some point and hitting some good twisties

Comment

You guys do seem a bit negative. I realise you are trying to give advice and whatnot, but the guy just got his bike and is excited.

I know a kat isn't that special if you have owned it a long time. But surely you remember how excited you were to ride it for the first time?

Enjoy your bike mate, any chance of pictures of this paint job?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamez525 View Post
              You guys do seem a bit negative. I realise you are trying to give advice and whatnot, but the guy just got his bike and is excited.

I know a kat isn't that special if you have owned it a long time. But surely you remember how excited you were to ride it for the first time?

Enjoy your bike mate, any chance of pictures of this paint job?

Thanks, the original point of this thread was to point out how much I'm favoring the kat over the 250 (guess that got lost in it all, I'll have to be more direct next time...). I, personally, had done a lot of searching on this topic across the internet and it was hard to find topics on people who switched from that size up to the kat, so I wanted to give a point of view for my experence with it. Also, I've got one picture loaded into the profile, forgot to add it as the avatar too. I'll have to do that whenever I get home tonight

Comment

Ha, I know what you mean. My only bike before the Kat was a Honda Varadero 125. The difference in power was incredible, I still remember the feeling of speed when I got out on to an open road and wound the throttle open for the first time. It feels a bit slow now, but back then it was magical.

Comment

Originally posted by rph12 View Post
                  It was an r6, not a liter...I'm aware of the difference...and also not naive enough to believe I could actually run with a liter SS. I didn't say I could run him in a straight quarter mile, I said it was keeping up with him...not bad for a nine year old sport tourer on back roads. Been used to running the 250 that just didn't have enough *oomph* to follow in the turns at speed. Also, I said the battleaxe was keeping up with it, not that it is "z0mg b3st t1re ev3r". It was getting the job done.

Check the pittsburgh craigslist and see what's around, maybe it'll make more sense why it was a deal compared to the others (the 04 with 12k miles for 1700 is the first one I went to look at and passed on because the guy had a lien through a CU and was shady...and it had nasty roadrash).

The guys around here I ride with who are on the gsxr 750's and busas were more excited about seeing a kat around (not saying they're better than anyone here on a kat...I know bigger bike doesn't necessarily mean bigger riding skill...) than the fellow kat riders on here...just a little surprising is all.

But, to put it all in perspective, I'm the new guy, I know. I should be saying thank you to all the experienced guys who bothered to respond. I look forward to running into some kats at some point and hitting some good twisties
                  Listen, it really wasn't my intention to insult you or your bike. all I was trying to do was let you know that the price you paid for a repainted bike was fair, no matter what area you are from. I also just wanted to let you know that a repainted bike often means the bike has been down and has some damage done to it.....damage that is hidden by a new paint job, which is why I suggest looking at your plastics from behind just to know exactly what you have purchased. if it has been repaired, it doesn't mean you got screwed or anything like that, but wouldn't you like to know for sure? I know I would....if for nothing more than just to know it was done right so I don't have any unexpected surprises in the future, like paint cracking or a chunk of body filler popping off.

as for the rest....hell ya the kat performs for what it is. there are guys on here than can keep up even with the r1's, in the twisties. and I do totally get where you are coming from with the upgrade. I went from an RM125 to a honda 600 cbr hurricane it was a major thrill. so ya, I do really get where you are coming from.

as for that battleaxe...there are worse tires for sure. I only suggest that when the time comes for a new one, that you ask for some advice on here about better brands. I will admit I am even a bit jealous of the selection you will have at your disposal. I have a 92 1100 with the infamous 16in rims, and I have all of 5 or 6 choices, if that. battleaxe was one of them, but it makes my arse pucker in the rain, so I stick with Metzeler.

so ya, maybe I should have said "congrats" before being critical, even though my intentions weren't so much to be critical as being "informative". so congrats on your new bike. the kat really is a good machine and will give you years of service if you take care of it. and welcome to the forum. you could not have joined a better group to learn all about the bike you just bought.

Comment

Enjoy your bike and ride it like you stole it!!! I ride an '82 Katana 1100 and there is no way I can keep up with the R1's, GSXR1000's, Fireblades etc etc but you know what.....I have a lot more fun than them. They at least know they are going to get through a corner, with the old Kat it's all over the place!! Great fun and that's what riding a bike is all about,
                    Regards from South Africa
                    Mel
                    MelWain

Comment

hey Mel...I have an 83 1100, and you are right right about them being all over the place....especially with the stock suspension. totally different than the 1100's that came after that. when you do 100mph on those old kats, you darn well know you are doing 100mph..lol.

Comment

Welcome to the group.......
                        sigpic
                        98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                        Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Hey guys I'm the Brasilian guy who don't know english very well and you don't understand each other jajajajajaja
                          For me one was very happy for the bike up and the other one just gave an good advise to check the bike
                          Also if I say that a Kat year 2000 in Brasil its aprox USD 12.000,00 do you believe me ?? Its serious bikes here its very very expensive

Comment

Glad ya like your new bike! Now, where's the PICS!?

Comment

Originally posted by jeepocaster View Post
                              Glad ya like your new bike! Now, where's the PICS!?
                              Updated the avatar...

Now I'm at the tough stage of picking an exhaust (still stock). The yoshi's sound good...but that two brothers m2 carbon fiber sure does look *pretty*...*damn*...*sick*.

Decisions, decisions...Any advice from anyone? I had dual two brothers full exhaust on my last 250 and it made the thing sound like a real bike. I can only imagine what (even just a slip on) would do for this bad boy. Buuuut the yoshi I can get for $280...the two brothers CF is about $410...youch...

Comment

My '99 750 has a yoshimira exhaust, its sounds pretty sweet! It came with it so I can't compare it to stock.
                                2004 Honda ST1300
                                1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X