No announcement yet.
X

hit n run on my kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glad your still around to share your story, but i hope the azzhat coward that hit you gets a good dose of Carma. we all hate to see another biker injured, and contemplating giving it up. hopes for a speedy recovery
    if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

bizump

hey folks. i'm doing a lot better now a days wish i could say the same for the kat. she runs with a high idle now so will probably need some fine tuning.

first of all wanna say thanks a lot to all the well wishes and yes i realize i am incredibly lucky to come out of this alive and not to banged up..

i'm doing a lot better post surgery. i have full movement in my arm but still some numbness and pain once in a while. doc says no more than 20 pounds of weight or pressure on the shoulder and 6 months til i can do pushups/pullups.

i wanted to ask some MC folk because i've only been hearing from doctors and paranoid family. how long would it take you guys to hop back on? i'm not talking all day rides but a gradual return to my everyday riding. my only fear is that if i go down i could be lengthening my recovery time. i sat on the kat and felt no pressure on the shoulder.

what would you do?

the kat is gonna most likely remain scuffed up but i do want it to run better again.

thanks for readin
      -GK

Comment

sorry to hear. hope for a speedy recovery. Where in NY are you?
        -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
        sigpic

Comment

i'm in nassau county down here in suburban wasteland

Comment

Sorry to read about your recent accident GK, but glad that you are on the mend and doing okay. In regard to everyone pressuring you about riding - I'd ask the simple question "Would it have been okay if the same results occured while I was __________ (driving, walking, flying, etc)". That will usually shut everyone's piehole, as none of us know when our number is up. Why worry about something out of our control? Life is far too short to worry about woulda, coulda, shoulda. As far as getting back in the saddle, give yourself some time to heal, and then ease back into riding, if that is your passion - to give you some encouragement, I did a high-speed get-em off on the NJTPK back in May, got banged up, but didn't allow it to deter me from riding - and as luck would have it - the ONE day I decide to forego overpants due to the weather, is when it happens! So, moral of the story is to do what pleases you, and always wear your gear GK!
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by garbagekid View Post
              i'm in nassau county down here in suburban wasteland
              Yeah big up nassau county. Taxes galore . Here's to a speedy recovery.
              -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
              sigpic

Comment

I would say, whenever YOU feel comfortable. I would probably start on familiar roads and just take easy, shorter trips. Just to see how I feel about being back on the bike and riding in traffic.

I also would not factor in anything that a family/friend has to say. They are well intentioned, but it's not what a rider ever cares or needs to hear.

Do what you want. It's your life after all.
                Extra life.

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                  Sorry to read about your recent accident GK, but glad that you are on the mend and doing okay. In regard to everyone pressuring you about riding - I'd ask the simple question "Would it have been okay if the same results occured while I was __________ (driving, walking, flying, etc)". That will usually shut everyone's piehole, as none of us know when our number is up. Why worry about something out of our control? Life is far too short to worry about woulda, coulda, shoulda. As far as getting back in the saddle, give yourself some time to heal, and then ease back into riding, if that is your passion - to give you some encouragement, I did a high-speed get-em off on the NJTPK back in May, got banged up, but didn't allow it to deter me from riding - and as luck would have it - the ONE day I decide to forego overpants due to the weather, is when it happens! So, moral of the story is to do what pleases you, and always wear your gear GK!
                  +1 for all of what he said

i would ask the doctor first as a rouphe estamate to when you can start riding again. then its up to you, when you think your ready.

as for people saying stop riding (if you decide you want to keep riding), say thanks for your concern but its my decision, and i could get hit by a bus tomorow, does that mean i should stop walking?

hoping for a speedy recovery
                  if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Hope you have a speedy recovery. What I hate when something like this happens when people say "wrong place, wrong time." Hey I was minding my own business, riding right, and being careful. So no I was at the right place, at the right time and somebody else decided their time or situation was more important than being careful.

Comment

Glad to hear you are ok brother. Hope you have a speedy recovery and the a** that hit you get what he deserves.
                      "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

thanks folks and don't worry i'll never stop riding

only reason i didn't ask the doc is because i didn't want to get his pre-programmed robot response "donorcycles are dangerous" etc...

wanted to see if any riders were previously in a similar situation with a relatively minor injury and how they returned to riding. i was gonna keep it to under an hour long rides

i have decided i'm going to just work on the bike and get her back in working order. do all my planned mods in the meantime (front and rear suspension mainly

gonna ride the vespa 50cc in the meantime around town for kicks and return to the kat in the springtime (or whenever i get impatient w/ waiting!)

Comment

Working...
                        X