Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

2000 katana for $120, what could go wrong?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good grab on the bike. There are plenty of parts if you need them off eBay. I have gotten a lot of my replacement fairings off there and also some hard parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor1148 View Post
      Alrighty! thanks for all the help so far.

I go to pick it up tomorrow after work, the excitement has really kicked in today! I'll be sure to have plenty of pics for you all when I get back!
      Good luck with your find! Hope all goes well. I'm actually picking up a 94 myself tomorrow after work. It's been parked and garage kept for the past 3 years but was running when it was parked. They wanted $100 to take it away so I'm meeting them (husband and wife) with a truck, ramps, and $100 tomorrow. Hope we both have good luck with our finds. Keep us updated as to how things go!
      '94 Katana 600
      '93 Mazda RX-7

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
      ― Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

i'm back!

What an exhausting day. after work I went over to my friend's house to pick it up but he wasn't there. sure enough right as we were leaving he showed up! after wrestling it into the back of the truck, and giving my mother a mini-heart attack when I got it home with a bike (she's very anti-motorcycles), It is now safe in my garage.

heres 2 pics. sorry guys, im worn out I'm just gonna start fresh tomorrow and take better pics then.

Sooo heres a list of what I know so far.
        -Rear tire has flat spot in it it looks like
        -i have ALL panels, just missing most of the hardware for the farings
        -looks like there is a little bit of rust inside the tank, but it may just be some crud, cant tell for sure
        -no battery
        -few other things. i pretty much just drug it in the garage and went and passed out on the couch

let me know what you guys think! I guess step 1 is getting a battery?

Comment

Step 2 is 2 new tires, those things are wack.

Get a battery, see if it will start
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Honestly, tires are the last thing I'd worry about right now. Definitely replace them before putting that bike on the road but focus on getting her started for now. Pick up a battery and clean out the fuel tank. Fresh gas, oil and see what you've got. I wouldn't be too surprised if you have to clean the carbs. Once you've got the engine running then work on the brakes and suspension and finally the tires. After that you'll be ready for cosmetics.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              Honestly, tires are the last thing I'd worry about right now. Definitely replace them before putting that bike on the road but focus on getting her started for now. Pick up a battery and clean out the fuel tank. Fresh gas, oil and see what you've got. I wouldn't be too surprised if you have to clean the carbs. Once you've got the engine running then work on the brakes and suspension and finally the tires. After that you'll be ready for cosmetics.
              that's what I was thinking. I'm sure they hold air fine so they'll be great till It's time to actually get it on the road.

can I get away with just cleaning the carbs or do you think I'll need a full rebuild? my guesstimates (according to when my friend recieved the bike and the info he's given me) is that its sat for about 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor1148 View Post
                that's what I was thinking. I'm sure they hold air fine so they'll be great till It's time to actually get it on the road.

can I get away with just cleaning the carbs or do you think I'll need a full rebuild? my guesstimates (according to when my friend recieved the bike and the info he's given me) is that its sat for about 2 years.
                If you're lucky the previous owner drained the carbs and tank dry before he stored the bike, but that is probably not what happened judging by your mentioned it having a rusty tank.

You might get away with a good cleaning flushing through all the fine passages in the carbs including the entire idle circuits including removing the af screws and getting those passages thoroughly blown out, plus a thorough soaking of all the brass parts...needle jets (emulsion tubes), mains, pilots and float needle seats. Plus you may need to replace the float valve needles too. But in my experience with something that's sat neglected that damn long, you're going to end up needing a full rebuild as it's almost impossible to get the carb body idle circuits fully cleaned with just a flush and blow out.

Don't even try using the fuel tank though until it's been properly treated to remove the rust. I suggest a full por15 kit for that.

For now, once you've thoroughly cleaned the carbs, sync, test and tune on a remote fuel tank.

hth

Comment

Alrighty everyone, I figure this thread has run it's course and It's time to start a new one in the long term project thread.

Thank you all for the help, I'll see you guys in the other thread!

Comment

Working...
                  X