No announcement yet.
X

1991 Kat- need diagnosis help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on the carbs I posted earlier?

Comment

• I found a set of bst36ss carbs from a 1989 750 on ebay, would those fit?

Comment

• Originally posted by smallwwb View Post
        I found a set of bst36ss carbs from a 1989 750 on ebay, would those fit?
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Suzuki-...5XT5La&vxp=mtr
        Yes, they can fit with the correct engine boots. Not sure if jetting changes would be needed.

I have a set for sale that were just cleaned and assembled. Bit more than that listing, but they are fully ready to go already cleaned with new orings and such.

$400 + shipping.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Those look great, but that's a little more than I want to spend.
          What all is involved with using the 36's?

Comment

• ?? That's a good price. If you get a set of used carbs, expect to spend at the minimum $200 to clean and replace needed parts.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• +1.

+ You KNOW the work is good if Krey did it.

I mean you'd still need to figure out jetting, but the clean/rebuild will be 100% solid.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Krey,

Do you have the boots for those? How much rejetting is needed?

Thanks

Comment

• Jetting would be just verifying they are stock for your bike. The manual has the specs you need.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• 750 to 1127, reasonably sure the jetting is different, but yeah manual or even the wiki will tell you what the differences are
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• I have the manual for my bike, so I could use the jet size for the 34's in the 36's? 34's seem rare as hen's teeth on the internet...

Comment

• I'm very new here,but those bst34's with a single feed are from either a gsxr750h(usa) or Gsxr1100g/h/j.I have both set's of bst34's from the gsx1100f and the gsxr1100g

If you can give me the pilot jet numbers,I can tell you which gsxr they are from
                        Last edited by Del11k; 06-29-2016, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Slabby 1100 bst34ss

Here are a set of gsxr1100g bst34ss cv's

And the gsx ones.

It looks like they have used the gsx tick-over adjuster on the gsxr carbs.Also you'll notice gsxr ones only have a support bar on 2 & 3 carb,as the outside two carbs are fixed to the middle two carbs,with the tags by the float bowls(the gsx ones have no screw thread)

Originally posted by smallwwb View Post
                          I have the manual for my bike, so I could use the jet size for the 34's in the 36's? 34's seem rare as hen's teeth on the internet...
                          I personally would just go back to standard main jet sizes(I have a chart if you need sizes)
                          If you go to Bst36's with the stock airbox,you will need to get 88/90 gsxr750j/k,89/90 1100k/l(All usa 1100's 89-99),mk1 bandit,92-95 gsxr600wn-ws,89-96 gsx600f or 89-97 Gsx750f inlet rubbers.Because the bst36ss inlet is egg shape oval and 60x62mm o/d,the bst34ss is 50mm and round.
                          The gsx600/750f,watercooled gsxr600/1100 or the bandit 12 airbox rubbers are the easiest to fit to the gsx airbox,as they are individual.The oil-cooled 750/1100 ones are dual outlet.
                          Last edited by Del11k; 06-29-2016, 10:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Cool thanks for the response. Did you see the photos I posted of my carbs?
                            I'll try to look at them again to see if they match either one of those pictures.

Mine look like the ones in the first photo, except the idle adjustment looks more like the second photo. Pictures are a couple pages back in the thread.

Page 9, half way down.
                            Last edited by smallwwb; 07-01-2016, 09:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Final Update

Hey guys, thought you might like to know what happened.
                              I took the bike to 2 wheel dynoworks in Kirkland as was suggested early on in this thread.
                              They rejetted the carbs, fixed a bunch of adjustments that were out, put new OEM manifolds on (they were leaking badly) re-synched and dyno tuned the bike. I rode it home from Kirkland (2 hours) and it seems to run fine now.

Makes 110 HP 70 TQ on the dyno, which is about what it was supposed to make new, so not bad for an old oil-cooler

So as to the big question of carbs. My best guess is that they were the GSXR slabby carbs with the idle adjuster from the GSX, like DEL11k said.
                              In any case, I can't wait to do some more riding to make sure everything is in order.

Comment

Working...
                              X