X

Headlights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlights

Adding a single headlight is really a piece of cake.

The screw size and spacing is pretty standard. So almost any headlight shell will work. (I used a CB750 shell because it was dirt cheap)

Universal brackets like these can be found in almost any motorcycle shop:

These are GS brackets. They will look nice if you get the right fork size.

So you need to do some cross referencing and find a GS model that has the same diameter forks as a Katana. The forks slide through the loops and you want the rubber bits to stay put too.

Once you have the mounting sorted the plug from your pre 98 Katana will plug right in.
    It should look like this:

Last edited by Black_peter; 09-21-2009, 09:37 AM.

simple and to the point, very nice BP

now, i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you could do nearly the same with a post 98 kat, using the gs brackets as well. iirc, they are all 41mm forks, and if you got an H4 conversion lense kit for an older bike, you could still use the factory harness, and bulb...sans one bulb of course

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
      now, i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you could do nearly the same with a post 98 kat,
      Forks are the same, yes. The SV 650 unit is nice because it is the HD lens. I wasn't sure about the plug arrangement on the 98+ so I kept my gob shut.
      Thanks for the input Teddy.

Here is an SV 650 unit. Good lord they is expensive!
      Last edited by Black_peter; 02-07-2008, 11:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Excellent. Thank you very much, this helps a lot.
        2 bikes

'82 GS650G
        '94 Katana 600

Comment

Careful- those "universal" brackets won't fit most modern sport bikes (ones I have for my bobber project fit the GS500 and CB650 forks, but not the Bandit 1200 forks.)
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
            Careful- those "universal" brackets won't fit most modern sport bikes (ones I have for my bobber project fit the GS500 and CB650 forks, but not the Bandit 1200 forks.)
            Good tip.
            I noticed that some of them do list the fork size range they fit. Some accomplish this by using different rubber inserts. I really don't suggest using them as they are pretty cheap..

Comment

On 98+ Kat's, even though there is two headlight plugs, I only used one. The headlight I bought only had one plug even though it is dual headlights. It is the european style with one light is the low and one is the high bean and parking light. I just wrapped plastic around the other plug and everything works fine.
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST
              2000 Katana 750 Streetfighter

Keep it rubber side down and your knees in the breeze.

Comment

is there a chart for forks sizes on the katanas ....my clymers doesn't say....
                Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                Tony
                94 Katana 600

Comment

The Katana is 41 mm

Google search plug in.
                  Text: fork diameter
                  Result: .2 seconds

Comment

thanks BP
                    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

thanks BP!

also, the GS500 headlight plugs right in to the pre-98 Kat harness, and works well with 41mm brackets
                      1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

does it matter if the bucket is rusty on the inside? will it effect the reflection of light or what?
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                          does it matter if the bucket is rusty on the inside? will it effect the reflection of light or what?
                          No but I would do something with the rust so it doesn't rust through..
                          I hide a lot of the wires inside the headlight shell.

Comment

cool, thanks again BP!
                            Tony
                            94 Katana 600

Comment

I used a bolt on, but the light part screwed up. The light was plastic and melted.

I used a bolt on, but the light part screwed up.
                              Last edited by newfie; 05-27-2008, 04:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              1993 kat 600
                              1990 GSXR 750
                              2008 Z1000

Comment

Working...
                              X