No announcement yet.
X

new paint progress

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Shweeeeeeeeet
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

What kind of paint are you using and how is it being applied (rattle can, gun)?
        2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
        - Aaron

Comment

I used DuPont paint, now called Axalta, the white is 801 white straight off the mixing bank. Its the truest white dupont has no yellows or black in the mix. Its typically used to mix paint with. The gold is a chrysler color called white gold. It was used exclusively as a two tone color on white ram trucks. Lots of coarse brilliant pearls. Its hard to see in the pics, but all the graphics have a light blue 1/16th pinstripe. Also a Chrysler color, iceberg blue pearl. I spayed it using a paint gun all the graphics are painted on except the black decals bought on ebay that were clear coated over.

Comment

That's a great paint job your doing & I know how much time an effort
            you put into it cause I did mine a couple of yrs ago . I also used a spray gun/
            .Job Well Done..!!!

Comment

Thanks. I have tried to be patient and not hurry. Thats the hardest part I think. But we still have snow on the ground here and im still yet to find a good set of winter treads for it, so even if it were back together, it would just sit in the building.

Comment

Originally posted by djjazzyfizzle View Post
                I used DuPont paint, now called Axalta, the white is 801 white straight off the mixing bank. Its the truest white dupont has no yellows or black in the mix. Its typically used to mix paint with. The gold is a chrysler color called white gold. It was used exclusively as a two tone color on white ram trucks. Lots of coarse brilliant pearls. Its hard to see in the pics, but all the graphics have a light blue 1/16th pinstripe. Also a Chrysler color, iceberg blue pearl. I spayed it using a paint gun all the graphics are painted on except the black decals bought on ebay that were clear coated over.
                Any recommendations on a paint gun?

If I'm going to paint my Kat I'm going to do it right and I'm going to do it once and only once.

I was considering a rattle can job, but I will need a decent automotive gun for my 78 F150 paintjob as well, so I may as well get one now.

I've also read somewhere that nozzles for the gun are important for when you're shooting clear vs paint. Something around the lines of use X for paint, use Y for clear.
                - Aaron

Comment

Honestly for something you will use only a few times I wouldn't go crazy spending alot of money on a gun. They range from 20$ harbor freight to 900$ satas. The 20$ gravity feed harbor freight guns spray fine for about 20 to 30 uses. I recommend a 1.3 fluid tip as they tend to be a little more forgiving and not put out alot of material.
                  As far as different air caps for base and clear, I wouldn't worry too much about that. You can get the same results without all the fancy extras. i spray every day in a 75k dollar booth and still get dirt in my paint so just plan on wetsanding and buffing as a required step and your results will look professional without spending the extra on a gun.
                  By the way, 78 Ford's rock!! I just sold my 79 Broncos on 38 swampers, and i drive a 75 f250 highboy daily.

Comment

Honestly for something you will use only a few times I wouldn't go crazy spending alot of money on a gun. They range from 20$ harbor freight to 900$ satas. The 20$ gravity feed harbor freight guns spray fine for about 20 to 30 uses. I recommend a 1.3 fluid tip as they tend to be a little more forgiving and not put out alot of material.
                    As far as different air caps for base and clear, I wouldn't worry too much about that. You can get the same results without all the fancy extras. i spray every day in a 75k dollar booth and still get dirt in my paint so just plan on wetsanding and buffing as a required step and your results will look professional without spending the extra on a gun.
                    By the way, 78 Ford's rock!! I just sold my 79 Broncos on 38 swampers, and i drive a 75 f250 highboy daily.
                    That's fantastic news man. I'd rather know that now than spend $2000 on painting equipment/supplies.

Like I've been told before and heard again, prep/sanding is key (apparently).

Great to hear there's other dentside lovers out there on this forum. My 78 Lariat isn't in the greatest of shape, but I'm hoping to change that this summer! It's my dream to drive my 78 F150 during the summer and my car as a winter bomber.

We'll see how it goes though. As you probably already know.. those 78's are a "lifetime" project haha
                    - Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
                      That's fantastic news man. I'd rather know that now than spend $2000 on painting equipment/supplies.

Like I've been told before and heard again, prep/sanding is key (apparently).

Great to hear there's other dentside lovers out there on this forum. My 78 Lariat isn't in the greatest of shape, but I'm hoping to change that this summer! It's my dream to drive my 78 F150 during the summer and my car as a winter bomber.

We'll see how it goes though. As you probably already know.. those 78's are a "lifetime" project haha
                      Likewise on the dentside! If you need any advice on the body work or prep on your kat or your Lariat let me PM me and I will be glad to help where ever I can.

Comment

Likewise on the dentside! If you need any advice on the body work or prep on your kat or your Lariat let me PM me and I will be glad to help where ever I can.
                        That's fantastic. Thanks for the offer, I'll likely use it in the future!

Especially on the Kat...

Are you a member on FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum)?

If you are, shoot me a message (Aaron-71; same username as on here). I usually manage my time between both forums haha.
                        - Aaron

Comment

No, im on FSB (full size Bronco). Ill have to check it out though.

Comment

Reassembly day has arrived! Wet sand and buff, and reassemble should fill my day quite nice. Yesterday I installed bi-xenon projectors I cut out of some busted dodge ram headlights. Thanks goes out to all of you who shared you ideas, I really wanted some with halos but these were free! I have a weath of knowledge in the bodyshop, if anyone needs advice, please PM me. I would love to give back to the community for payment of what I learned here!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks solid, let's see those fairings on it!
                              - Purplehaze
                              All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Here's another update. I would say its about 90 percent complete. The whole bike is wetsanded, and half of it is buffed up. Still some minor reassembly to complete, waiting on a new hardware set for the fairings and windscreen. But im liking the results so far. The snow is almost gone!!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X