X

Driving on Dirt roads

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving on Dirt roads

Any advice for riding on Dirt roads? Rode down one in low gear, but still felt like I was being pulled twards the gutters on each side? Countersteering seems a little iffy on a dirt road, looking for a more experienced person's view points on this
    sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

If it's soft and sandy, it doesn't hurt to scoot back on the seat a bit. Takes the weight off the front wheel allowing it to "glide" over the sand, rather than digging in.
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

I've lived on dirt and gravel roads all my life.
      First thing is....don't panic. That gravel and rock moving under your tires isn't a sign of the world ending.
      Second is to find the ruts from the car and truck tires and ride the inside edge of them. That keeps you from wandering over too far.
      2005 Aprilia RST1000
      2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
      1998 Chevy Tahoe
      www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Yeah I live about mile down a dirt road so i ride it daily....Biggest thing imo is throttle and clutch control. No sudden movements or acceleration just take your time in 1st and 2nd and i cannot stress DO NOT GET IN A HURRY!

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

ahh there is nothing to dirt roads. stay slow and stay straight up and down. you lean to much your done. Once you do alot of time on the dirt roads you can fly down them but never expect to stop thats not guna happen.
          Gravity works 100% of the time.

Comment

gas it. it's fun to slide around. emphasis on rear brake. for same reason.

Comment

That's what I was thinking, more rear brake. Was riding rutts, not so much hurry. Glad I was pretty much doing things correctly. Validation and tips was what I was looking for, appreaciate it.

Cheers

Chris
              sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
              '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
              '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

unless you're tryin to throw gravel, easy does it with no sudden movements is the ticket. hard front brake can and will wash out the front end. look for the line that has the least washboard and holes. Also, a twitchy throttle will get you in trouble. I like to get her rolling and get into second soonly. keeps the throttle responce much less twitchy. loaf her along. I actually prefer to do slow speed manovering anywhere in a higher gear just to avoid the twitchy throttle syndrome. idle and clutch control instead.
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                X