Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

1990 GSX600f will not idle and floods gas!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 GSX600f will not idle and floods gas!

Here is the problem, lets see if anyone can fix this:
    I just picked up the bike, I know nothing about the past history (ie. how old the gas is, when oil was changed, how long it was sitting, etc.)

the bike will fire up when I open the throttle, but will not stay idling. I dont need to use the choke, but if i keep the throttle open, gas starts spitting out the overflow lines and cuts out...then it wont start for a bit-pobably cuz everything got flooded. Here's the catch: its not nice clean yellow gas, its sort of brownish looking...smells like gas anyways...

Please help-Im open to all ideas..

FLOODED, must likely you have a float stuck!

take the carbs out
    clean them
    check float height
    put back together
    sync them
    don't forget to drain the gas tank and put fresh gas in there
    and with that you should be good to go
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Something might be stuck in the float needle seat , too . I had that problem after putting on some new fuel lines (bit of rubber came loose and got stuck in there ) .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yup and yup!

Most be the most common carb issues...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          Yup and yup!

Most be the most common carb issues...
          How is your bike by the way?
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Carbs have been cleaned today! its starts, idles for a bit longer and better than b4, and dies again. I have to adjust the throttle cable screw to keep it running OK....I was wondering- what does the pilot injector screw look like? where would it be on the carb? Do i adjust it on all 4?

Next, why wont my spark plugs come out with all the sockets I've tried?? what size do I use? Could this problem also have something to do with the ignition?

Oh ya, everything around me smells like gas, but nothing's leaking...after it starts and i pull on the trottle and it dies again, I know something is flooded because it takes a while to fire up again...thanks everyone for all your help so far...and i know i will be thanking everyone again soon enough.

Comment

Well , I had to find a cheap-a$$ deep-well 17mm socket to get into my plugs . By "cheap-a$$" , I mean a socket that's really thin , and you normally wouldn't WANT to use because of this . And they are usually cheap ! Differnt years and sizes may vary , but you'll need a thin-walled socket of SOME kind .
              The pilot screws are usually covered by a metal cap , especially if the carbs haven't been tinkered with . The'll be on the botton in a little hole by themselves OUTSIDE the float bowl toward the engine-side of the carb .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Mine came in a tool kit from Target cost 20 or 30 dollars for the kit.
                Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Replace the 2 black O-rings on each float, this made all my idle and gas smell probles go away

Comment

..............and don't forget to replace the rubber caps in there also! And check your floats..............look at and clean each rubber stopper.........
                    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

ALL IS GOOD NOW! I owe everyone here a really big THANK YOU!....bike runs, idles, and goes...

Comment

One thing ya'll forgot. If the bike has been overflowing the carbs and flooding out, chances are gas has leaked past the rings and entered the crankcase. Do youself a favor, pull the fill plug and smell the oil, if it knocks ya over with gas fumes, change the oil and filter. The reason for this, the PVC vents to the airbox, hydrocarbons from the oil enter the intake tract and cause it to run rich again, no end in sight sometimes, change your oil and filter!!!
                        If you wanna live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X