X

1990 katana 600 gas gauge not working

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 katana 600 gas gauge not working

Gas gauge not working on my 1990 katana gsx 600.. Bought it off a friend and he told me it doesn't work.. He said he thinks it might be a short in the wiring.. I haven't checked the fuses so I'm not sure what it is yet but figured I'd get some insight on it from you guys

I would unplug the fuel level sender, then jump the two wires together on the bike side of the harness (yello n black) see if the gauge goes up.

Comment

Cool I'll give that a shot.. Now if this works what should I do after? Sorry I'm still learning about bikes lol

Comment

If it goes up, you know the problem is on the tank side, not much there, two wires and the float level sender. Would have to replace that, unless it's something simple like the connector or wire.

Comment

If that makes the gauge move then the problem is the sending unit inside the tank.

It's not like the gas gauge on these bikes is accurate or anything. You can do just fine by refilling the tank every 120 miles or so and keeping the petcock set to ON. if the bike starts to stutter while you're riding then just turn the petcock to RES and find a gas station.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thank you jman and wild bill for the help I'm going to test this out as soon as the weather around here clears up.. I'll keep you guys posted on the out come.. Thanks again for the quick replies
            Last edited by 92Katana83; 05-22-2012, 09:28 AM. Reason: Mis spelled

Comment

I took a peak today and unbolted the fuel tank.. come to find out the wires for the float level sender was cut.. I noticed one wire was yellow with a black stripe on it and the other wire didnt have the skin on it so now im not sure what color wire id rig that up to.. im lost. then again im not too concerned on the gas gauge so much as I could just look in the tank to see how much gas is in there and fuel up when needed.. but with that being said anyone know what color wires I could rig it up to if I wanted to re-wire it? thank you guys for all the help you can provide me.. I greatly appreciate it

Comment

One is the yellow/black the other black. The bike side of the harness is the same a yellow/black and a black wire.

Comment

So what your saying is I can basically tap into the harness behind the fuel gauge and run it to the fuel level sender? Just wondering so I don't mess anything up lol.. Thanks again

Comment

wrong trhead
                    Last edited by blitz2190; 05-23-2012, 10:16 PM. Reason: wrong thread
                    never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                    Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                    confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      If that makes the gauge move then the problem is the sending unit inside the tank.

It's not like the gas gauge on these bikes is accurate or anything. You can do just fine by refilling the tank every 120 miles or so and keeping the petcock set to ON. if the bike starts to stutter while you're riding then just turn the petcock to RES and find a gas station.
                      120 miles i knew i wasnt getting good gas mileage but i think i just get that in two fill ups

Comment

WTF, 60 miles to a tank?! How much are you putting in the tank to fill it up? Break out the calculator to figure your gas mileage.

You've got a 5.3 gallon tank including about 1 gallon of reserve capacity. You should be getting at least 30 mpg even if you're massively working that engine so 4 gallons should get you at least 120 miles.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
                          wrong trhead
                          Your right blitz... My apologies.. I will post that in the electrical section

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            WTF, 60 miles to a tank?! How much are you putting in the tank to fill it up? Break out the calculator to figure your gas mileage.

You've got a 5.3 gallon tank including about 1 gallon of reserve capacity. You should be getting at least 30 mpg even if you're massively working that engine so 4 gallons should get you at least 120 miles.
                            WTF is what i said, I used to ride my friends 250 before i got my Kat & the first thing i noticed was i was filling up a lot more compared to the 250. I know it should be a difference considering the 250 is a smaller engine & fuel injected but still felt like i was feeling up to much. Filled up one day & reset the odometer by time it was time for me to fill up again it was at 68 or 78 cant remember exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstRide88 View Post
                              WTF is what i said, I used to ride my friends 250 before i got my Kat & the first thing i noticed was i was filling up a lot more compared to the 250. I know it should be a difference considering the 250 is a smaller engine & fuel injected but still felt like i was feeling up to much. Filled up one day & reset the odometer by time it was time for me to fill up again it was at 68 or 78 cant remember exactly.
                              CBR 250? Ninja 250 is carbed. Even the newest of the new ones.

For fuel mileage, fill the tank to the top. Reset ODO. When you fill up again, divide miles on ODO by gallons to refill = fuel mileage

Comment

Working...
                              X