X

running rough

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running rough

hi , can anyone help .. i have a 1998 gsx600fw . it was running fine untill i came to start it one morning and it seemed to misfire even on choke , like it was running out of fuel. took it for a run to see if anything would clear to no avail . when starting off in 1st it seems to run 0n 3 untill it gets over 3ooorpm then it just semms to be holding back all the time . thought it was a plug down so changed them which helped a little but still rough ... help .

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Check that the carb synch caps are all securely attached (not sure where they are on your model, but likely at the base of the carbs above the float bowls). Should have one on #1, 2, 3 but #4 is attached to a hose that goes to petcock.

If they are there, while idling, use spray starter fluid to chase down the leak by spraying areas around the carbs and intake to see if the RPMs change...could be as simple as a loose hose or clamp....hopefully.
    2004 GSX750F

Comment

will have a probe round and let you know , mant thanks mate

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Hough View Post
        will have a probe round and let you know , mant thanks mate
        I would ad some Sea Foam to the fuel if you can get it there or Gas line deicer (methal hydrate)
        Not sure if you have ethanol blended fuel on that side of the pond ,we do and it goes to crap quick
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Sounds like dirty carbs.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Sounds like a single clogged pilot jet to me. Once you get up in revs, the main takes over and it cleans up. Clean your carbs out real well, re-set them, and you should be all set.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              Sounds like a single clogged pilot jet to me. Once you get up in revs, the main takes over and it cleans up. Clean your carbs out real well, re-set them, and you should be all set.
              This is finally an answer I agree with 100%.

Comment

think its cured

thankks for everones suggestions , tried everything ... apart from the obvious ( not to me anyhow ). decided to remove plug caps from ht lead on each one of them and snip 3-5mm off the end to give them a clean contact . seems to have worked . ticks over cleaner and crisper .
                hopefully when we have a dry uk evening ill give it a test run , but once again many thanks to you all .
                well i am going to have to put some pics up of it now aint i

Comment

Working...
                X