No announcement yet.
X

Working on wifes 1990 GSX600F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok... I am confused. As far as I know, DR8ES is a spark plug with internal 5 kiloohm resistor. If that is correct than I dont understand why all of my spark plug connectors have 5 kiloohm resistance. Those should be zero resistance because spark plug itself has built in resistor.

did I understood something wrong or did previous owner seriously messed up that poor bike?

Comment

The manual states the correct resistance. The boot have a resistor and the plugs are resistive plugs.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

But manual states that I should have 12 to 18 kiloohms plug cap to plug cap. My ignition coils measure 15k without caps. If each cap is 5 kiloohms, then it is impossible to get 12 to 18 kiloohms like the manual says.

Comment

Then something is out of spec.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Yes. I think plug caps are. Those should probably be low resistance or no resistance.

Comment

I have fixed my ignition circuit and it was a mess. I honestly dont know how that bike was working the whole time.

Anyway, today I have discovered that my two spark plugs dont work, one is throwing spark at the side below electrodes (looks bizare), and only one is working properly (tested on all four cables). What baffles me is the fact that those are 300 miles spark plugs... Basically new. How is that even possible?

Comment

Finally!

Its alive.

Comment

It never ends.

Today I have finally test drive that damn thing and all was good until bike warmed up and I needed to stop at red light. At First bike was idling at 1300 rpm and after few seconds it started to drop and finally died. I was unable to start it again without throttle.

There is no leaks and fuel delivery is ok. Unless someone has any other suggestions, I would say that carbs need cleaning again.

Comment

Since throttle introduces air, it Sounds like fuel in the oil...or flooding..have you sealed the tank? Is there any rust in there?
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

I can see some rust on one small area in the tank.

I am quite sure that there is no fuel in oil. The fact is that it is running too rich when idling. Why is running too rich? God knows. I think best course of action is to clean tank and carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel Dark View Post
                        I can see some rust on one small area in the tank.

I am quite sure that there is no fuel in oil. The fact is that it is running too rich when idling. Why is running too rich? God knows. I think best course of action is to clean tank and carbs.
                        Just be aware that a lot of info on this site is US model oriented. The UK/Euro models are a little different in jetting and settings. So, make sure your going by the Euro model setup for the carbs. An example is the A/F settings. US models need 2.5 turns from seated, but the Euro generally are down around 1.5 range. Can make a big difference.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for that info. I figured that out when I opened carbs two days ago and they were absolutely clean and spark plugs were black as night. At the moment I am on 2 turns of A/F mix screw and it is a lot better and it is idling quite ok now, but after you told me this I will go additional half a turn down.

I have just finished whole bike and tomorrow I will post some pictures.
                          Thanks everyone for help and great advices.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel Dark View Post
                            My engine is like a kinder surprise.
                            This fell out when I opened starter clutch cover. As you can probably guess, I will now ask can anyone identify this piece? I estimate that it is part of something that is about 7 cm in diameter.

Kinder is a European chocolate that when you open the egg up, you get a surprise/prize packaged inside.
                            2004 KTM 525 EXC
                            2004 KTM 200 EXC
                            1990 Suzuki GSX600F
                            1978-1/2 AMF/H-D Low Rider 1200

Comment

That is true. Sorry, didnt know you dont have Kinder Surprise in USA. I have just read that fact in wikipedia.

Comment

Working...
                              X