X

Polished Aluminum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished Aluminum

So the grab bar is finished being polished and nice and shiney.
    Got some Mothers wax to polish it up a bit, wax is for polished aluminum (before anyone asks )
    Followed the directions, and it completely dulled it. To the point it needs to be buffed again with the rouge.

Any suggestions as to why?
    Will post pics when I can.
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

are you using Mother's wax? if so,, i would recommend Mother's mag and aluminum polish as it will do a much better job at bringing out the mirror finish you're looking for. work it in until it turns almost black, and then wipe off with a clean towel. good luck!

Comment

The type of cloth you are using may have scratched it also,use the softest you have,one to apply and one to wipe off.
      Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Thanks guys!

The stuff I am using is specifically for polished aluminum, and I was using a very soft cloth, and I worked it til it went black. Thats why I still can't fugure out what the deal is.

Getting frustrated

Comment

Have it chromed...end of story....
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I love a girl who works on her toys....I really respect you for that Katgirl!

Comment

Thank you Range, had a bit of help too
              (you really are talking about my grab bar right?)

And thanks Jax, ya smartarse!!

Comment

Is the aluminum smooth enough to be polished, when I polish aluminum thats been previously painted I have to sand it first, I start with 350 and work upto 2000 grit, but then again i use a polishing disc pad to bring it to chrome quality.
                www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
                Katana Frame Sliders
                The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
                98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
                I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

After you get it polished up, you will probably be best served using an poly-acrylic compound to protect it from further exposure (some floor waxes, Klasse All-in-One, NuFinish 2000, etc). Finding one with no polishing compounds in it might be hard...

Good Luck!
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I played around a LOT with polishing things a while back and I think I might know what the problem is.......Mothers.
                    I never could get Mothers to polish up clean and stay that way. Even when it looked good it seemed I could always take a different brand of polish and use it right next to it and it had a better shine. I think it has a lot to do with Mothers not just being a polish but a cleaner/polish.

What it sounds like to me is that your fighting humidity. I'm sure you worked real hard to get that piece to shine up sanding and buffing but what nobody told you was the the very second you take that wheel (or rag) away from the bare metal it starts to corrode. Microscopicly (sp) but it starts just the same. And even though your hitting it with polish right away if your in a humid situation that moisture is mixing in with your polish and causing the corrosion to start under your polish.

Solutions?
                    Strip it down again to get rid of the polish that is there now trapping moisture and corrosion. Throw away the Mothers and use Eagle1 or even better some jewelers rouge in a warm, dry place. The second and I mean the very second you get done repolishing it and your happy with the shine put some good car carnauba wax and use NO WATER. Coat it heavy and let it dry, then buff again.
                    Your still going to have to clean and rewax it regularly but this should help reduce that time frame from a couple of hours to a couple of weeks assuming you don't let it sit out in the dew or rain. If that happens then plan to do it daily or bite the bullet and get it chromed.

Comment

Originally posted by Katgirl
                      Thank you Range, had a bit of help too
                      (you really are talking about my grab bar right?)

And thanks Jax, ya smartarse!!
                      ...anytime sweet heart...anytime....
                      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Well thank you very much, I will do that, and get rid of the Mothers!!

Comment

Wow , the upkeep for a polish job sounds crappy . Even more reason to just paint it all .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Odd Jim. I use Mothers polishes on all my stuff. Use the basic red and white can polish and then do a fine polish with the newer Mothers billet polish. Never had a problem.
                            Ron
                            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Jim has a valid point. aluminum is really bad for oxidization. unlike most other metals, aluminum is almost "alive". as soon as it is exposed to air, period, it will start to "grow" on itself. it is almost like the honeycomb of a beehive in the way it grows. actually, it is part of the process of anodizing, which is only for aluminum. about the only way you are going to enjoy the appearance of the part over a period of time, without always having to re-polish and wax, is to clear-coat it. you might want to consider taking it to a powdercoat shop and having them put a clear powdercoat over it. it will enhance the shine and give you at least 2 years of not having to worry about it at all...and a good chance of even longer.
                              anything else...expect reg maintenance and occassional re-polishing. unless you are a fanatic in enjoying that kinda work, you will tire of it after a season or 2.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X