X

Solo Seat Cowl

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Seat Cowl

Hi guys, I just got my 05 katana last week and already having some plans for it. I am having trouble getting pictures on my computer but i will have some this week, The main reason i am wanting the seal cowl is that for a reason unknown to me ther eis a gap in the rear of the sea of a half inch to an inch to the top of the fender. It is to the point where you can actually see the white plastic under the seat from behind and I am not sure what is causeing it as both sides of the seat in the rear are clipping in. This is what leaves me to the cowl. I am not sure if that will fix my problem or make it worse. I also havent seen any the same color as my bike, Grey with black flames. So i was thinking of just making my own out of fiberglass. I have some experience working with boats making some custom freehand center consoles and hull repair. I wanted to know if anyone has made theor own cowl and if so could post some pics, gimme advice, share some plans. I just didnt like that flat look form some of the companies I saw. Any help would be greatly Appreciated

XZella

Originally posted by Xzella View Post
    Hi guys, I just got my 05 katana last week and already having some plans for it. I am having trouble getting pictures on my computer but i will have some this week, The main reason i am wanting the seal cowl is that for a reason unknown to me ther eis a gap in the rear of the sea of a half inch to an inch to the top of the fender. It is to the point where you can actually see the white plastic under the seat from behind and I am not sure what is causeing it as both sides of the seat in the rear are clipping in. This is what leaves me to the cowl. I am not sure if that will fix my problem or make it worse. I also havent seen any the same color as my bike, Grey with black flames. So i was thinking of just making my own out of fiberglass. I have some experience working with boats making some custom freehand center consoles and hull repair. I wanted to know if anyone has made theor own cowl and if so could post some pics, gimme advice, share some plans. I just didnt like that flat look form some of the companies I saw. Any help would be greatly Appreciated

XZella
    It could be as simple as a warped seat pan and replacing the seat would fix the issue. Could also be something simple as how things are mounting in... an issue you may not be aware of.

Or it could be a damaged tail from the bike having been down and repaired but not done right.

Unfortunately your general description doesn't give me enough info to even suggest much of anything specific to look for atm other than "recheck how it all goes together".

As for making the cowl... I know there is a "how too" on here of doing exactly that. Use the google search feater for the website. Pretty sure it was Teddy that did the post.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

YEP
      I made my own because I dont like the ones online and how they sit back an inch or so on the passenger seat. I wanted the cowl to start where the back of the drivers seat ends. I also wanted to give it more of a bulky look like the rest of the bike.
      I just wraped the seat with plastic wrap, then used a plastic jug cut to the basic shape and taped it into place and wrapped it again. Then layer on the fiberglass. 3 layers of glass. Plus a few patched to fill in the low spots. After that long strand fiberglass bondo was used to finish shaping it.
      To attach it I fiberglassed velcro straps inside that wrap around and attach to each other under the seat.

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-21-2012, 10:25 AM.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

^^ man that looks awesome! would love to have experience with fiberglass so I could fabricate something like that...

very nice
        vwvortex.com : jettajake00
        midmoriders.com :jettajake00
        Go Cardinals!

Comment

Originally posted by jettajake00 View Post
          ^^ man that looks awesome! would love to have experience with fiberglass so I could fabricate something like that...

very nice
          Ditto!!

Great Job!!!

Comment

I bought one on eBay from the uk just like that.
            "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
            "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Comment

here ya go: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77739

not mine, but i have done several in a quite similar fashion...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Hardlydangerous, what did you use for paint to color match or did you have your paint mixed specifically for your bike?

Comment

wow. that looks amazing for a home spun job .
                  im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Hmmm im thinkin bout doing this but maybe havon a compartment in it? And a key lock.to open.it up,,,,seen one on my buddies old gixxer just like it

Comment

Originally posted by zukilover View Post
                      Hmmm im thinkin bout doing this but maybe havon a compartment in it? And a key lock.to open.it up,,,,seen one on my buddies old gixxer just like it
                      There is a compartment in it (it's hollow) and, since it attaches under the seat, it would be locked onto the bike using the seat's lock.

Comment

Working...
                      X