Gauge lights always on

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge lights always on

Hi,

I bought a 1992 GSX600f this past September and I have been rebuilding it. After wiring up my new indicator lights, speedo, and tach, my gauge lights are always on. If I disconnect the plug that connects the ground to the wiring harness, then the lights go off. But usually when I plug the ground back in, the lights immediately come back on. Anyone know why this might be happening?

I have one more idea that I will try when I get home this evening. When I wired up my indicator lights, maybe I didn't use the appropriate grounds for the neutral and oil indicator, as those use different grounds than the rest of the indicators. Could this be the issue?

Ground is constant, you've most likely tied into a 12v source that is also constant.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks for the opinion, thats what I was afraid of. I went back through some of the wiring harness last night before it got too frustrating. I found that the power is coming through the Tail Light Fuse (unplugging it turns off the gauge lights), but I haven't found out how the gauge lights are getting the +12v yet. I'll take another look tonight.

Comment

Have you looked at the wiring schematic for your bike by any chance?
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I traced it all out on my schematic. I found that it was the ignition switch. maybe this means I just need to make it start with a RFID and add a garage door remote sooner than I planned.

Comment

Well, I traced it all out and saw that the ignition switch had some wires that had worn through the shielding, but this did not actually cause my issue. I used the schematic to start narrowing down my issues and I used my multimeter to find out where the lines were hot when they weren't supposed to be. It ended up that my fuse box was bad (this one had come with a "new" wiring harness I ordered off ebay). Luckily I had another fuse box that came with the bike. I swapped out the fuse box and my electrical issues went away! Sorry for the late reply, I just wanted to make sure that my actual issue and solution was posted in case anyone else had the issue.

Comment

Working...
            X