X

Wind buffeting at 100MPH & over?-750Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind buffeting at 100MPH & over?-750Kat

Ok, on the track I had the 750 Kat up at 130MPH, plenty of wind pushing my helmet up. Seems to be coming over the front of the tank, because I feel it pushing up under my chin. No amount tucking in seems to help.
    Anybody ever make a spoiler or deflector to fix this?
    Thanks

Hmm, you'll have to fab some up and sell those.. I can see wher the fairing dips into the tank at the headlight would give a great tunnel effect. A nice aerodynamic bubble filler would work to redirect that. Now if it's coming from the headstock, that could be a minor challenge...
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Or, at those speeds, I chose to lie prone on the tank and peek above the windshield. Easy. At 158 mph on my ZZR1200 I just leaned forward, but I had no idea I was going near that fast...that bike was a scene changer.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

This seems to be particular to the pre 750 Katana. Zuma I'm sure your ZZR1200 would have all windage issues worked out for those speeds.
        I have a 1982 GS1100G, a naked bike with only a small windshield and it does the same thing at about 80MPH and over. That I can understand.
        Same problem, the windscreen forms a low pressure area behind it, so the wind comes up over the tank behind the windscreen, under the rider's chin and helmet.

Comment

Not trying to seem like a penis, but maybe you just need more practice.
          I remember fighting the wind while riding the interstate with no fairings. With all the fast moving traffic its easy to occasionally exceed 100mph. Eventually you should get to the point were it won't bother you.
          EDIT: My Nolan helmet has a detachable chin spoiler. Some thing like that may provide some help too.
          Last edited by katanarider; 07-04-2016, 09:13 PM.
          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Bill needs more practice, Wha??!! yup, keep ridin Bill.....
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Not trying to break balls, but 150mph is sort of like learning to ride again.
              Like I was saying, try riding with out the fairings or some thing. Maybe that will help build tolerance.

Comment

Ok.....here's the problem, the katana isn't an SS bike. It wasn't meant for what he's doing with it, so design is the problem.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

I was under the impression you always lean over the tank at those speeds?

I did around 130 on my 600' and I never felt any kind of draft like that unless I tried to move my head. I always lean over at 100+ however or it feels like the wind will rip me off the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Suture View Post
                      I was under the impression you always lean over the tank at those speeds?
                      Maybe you should read my post again, or maybe you'll never get it.
                      Either way you'll never have anything useful to say.
                      Last edited by buffalobill; 07-05-2016, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Some answers;
                        No doubt I do need to get used to it, but it gets real distracting just as I'm deciding when to break for the corner. I could see and judge distance/speed better if my head weren't bobbing and shaking.
                        I wear a Bell Vortex.
                        I'm 6:4", my chest resting on the tank, my nose is over the steering stem bolt right over where the wind is rushing up.
                        Comparing the 90s GSXR to the Katana, the GSXR has more frontal area extending out the sides, above the wheel to the top of the windscreen.
                        The Katana starts wide low but gets narrow at the top.
                        I think the base of the donkey mirrors were designed to deflect wind, but I take those off for the track.
                        Also the GSXR has a lower nose above the wheel.
                        Last edited by buffalobill; 07-05-2016, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I can see your height being a issue. I'm too tall for my bike as well. At least you have a flat/one piece seat unlike the 600cc. Maybe you can stretch your back out further by sitting more towards the rear. That may require fabricating the foot pegs with rear set type controls. Also, one thing I noticed while I'm riding in the tucked position is my elbow angle. When I'm just cruising a straight line on the the interstate I have my feet on the rear pegs, elbows down as far as they will go and elbows tight against the tank. Wind rushing from your Bicep muscles toward and under your helmet could be a issue.

Comment

Thanks.
                            Anyway, being tall I like the Katana foot peg position. I'm sure a genuine sportbike has higher pegs and is more cramped.
                            As it is, my right leg gets wore out from all the right turns on a track, so much I can't move my butt anymore and have to shorten each track session late in the day.
                            I'll tell yeah something else, my Katana weighs 500lb dry, and that's 100lb more than post 2000; 750 sport bikes, maybe 125lb more than current 600s.

Comment

Working...
                            X