1st post.. 92' Kat 1100 owner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another pic

Just thought I'd share this one too... She's pretty mint
    Last edited by tic; 10-18-2015, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Think I need a big kitty for myself.....
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by tic View Post
        Anyone care to guess when the value of the old Kats might start going up instead of down assuming mint condition? I had a guy offer me $1,500 and I just laughed but then I checked the value and he wasn't far off. Too bad they aren't as collectible as the original Katana 1000's
        I had the exact same bike as you. Just as nice, and only 30k kms, which is about 18k miles when I bought it. I paid $2700 for it back in 2009.

Yes, the book value is low for one in great shape, but like you say, it's not far off from the value. For anyone not familiar with the kats, expect to get no more than $1500-2000 for offers. For someone who really wants it....maybe up to $2500. I dumped mine at the 09 Kat rally and trashed it. I am trying to find another. If the exchange rate wasn't so high, and you being so far away, I would be pressuring you to take $2500 for it.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mine looks really good cosmetically but I'm sure she's pretty tired internally. It still starts instantly and idles perfect, runs really well but from some of the build threads I've seen, I'd hate to see what it REALLY looks like inside. I've never cleaned the carbs but they've never given me any problems. The bike has never left me stranded but every time I take it for a long ride now I worry that it's coming. The ODO actually shows just 67,000mi. but I ran it for two summers with a broken speedometer sensor. My best guess is that actual mileage is now over 72,000 so she's tired but I never beat it so I'm hoping that if I keep it I can put 100,000mi. on it with no rebuild. I have pretty bad arthritis in my left hip so my rides aren't as long as they used to be and I'm not getting any younger either. It just doesn't make much sense to sell it now as it really isn't costing me anything. Insurance is $150 a year. What bugs me is that new tires, chain and sprockets would cost half the value of the bike. Chain, sprockets and tires are still good but at what point do you give up? If you were here with 2,500 cash I'd prolly take it. I lost my job a year ago and at age 59 my options are limited but it's not like 2,500 is going to bail me out LOL.

Comment

tic, 72k is nothing. I have been riding nothing but the 1100 Kat since 1994, when I bought a 93 that was only slightly used. I rode it until 2006. It had over 220k kms on it. which is around 135k miles. I never opened the engine, and I never even removed the carbs....not once.

Here is the trick.....dump in half bottle of injector cleaner every 10 tanks or so. And beat the shit out of the motor. You know.....redline it on a regular basis. It's by babying it that you end up with a bunch of crap in the engine. If you want to see what I mean, wait until your rear tire needs to be changed, then do a burnout at night. Lock the front brake and let her rip....and redline it while you are doing it. You will see all kinds of crap come out your exhaust in the form of little sparks, which is carbon buildup. The reason you want to do the burnout is to put a load on the engine, as opposed to just redlining it in neutral. Doing that can blow your engine in a hurry.

Anyway, worked for me, obviously. I never would have did 135k miles with it if it didn't. The rings were shot, and it would smoke, but she still ran strong. Only downside.....I always had to ride at the back of the pack because folks behind me didn't appreciate the cloud of blue smoke in the face if i cracked open the throttle. lol
            Last edited by Mojoe; 10-19-2015, 01:21 PM.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mine doesn't smoke but yeah, I always run a bottle of chevron techron or seafoam through it every spring. I give it a real hot shot of the stuff and redline every gear (except 5th, sometimes I don't have enough room or nerve) Does seem to keep it running well.

Comment

Katana engines last a decent while. My 600 is at~96500 miles, and no engine work done. (Just regular valve adjustments) no carb work other than turning my a/f screws to 2.5 turns out. Most kats I hear about die to to crashes, not engines giving out.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Nice looking machine
                  If it aint broke polish it

1979 GS7/11 - 1990 GSX1100F

My Rebuild
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133928

Comment

Working...