Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

my kat isn't idleing and runs rough at cruising rpm.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my kat isn't idleing and runs rough at cruising rpm.

I just picked up my bike 2 days ago and it had been sitting for a couple months. when I picked it up the guy there put mixed gas in it by mistake. So I went and got some carb cleaner and octane boost, I haven't ran the whole tank through it yet but I put prolly 50 miles on it and it still running really rough and cruising rpm and doesn't idle, but once you open it up it comes alive. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2002 gsx 600
    02' Katana 600
    D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Drain the tank and put fresh gas in. Run the old junk in your lawnmower...
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

yep +1

Comment

how hard is it to get to the fuel line you have to take the fairings off?
        02' Katana 600
        D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Take the gas tank off.

Remove the seat, two bolts at the rear of the tank. Probably 10mm.

Disconnect the fuel gauge sender, and the lines from the tank.

Get an extra piece of fuel line to push onto the petcock, put the other end into a 5 gallon gas can and set the petcock to prime.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

And you may need to pull the plugs and get some fresh in there .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I pulled the tank off and checked the plugs but they didnt look fouled nor did they smell it. they actually looked a lil rusty. any suggestions?
              02' Katana 600

Comment

If they look a little rusty , they probably just got a little water on the through the boots . Not a HUGE deal , but plugs are cheap .
                You get through that crappy gas yet ?

Comment

I drained what was left of the tank today and as I had the tank off I think I figured out why it's not idling I think my throttle isn't adjusted right how do you adjust your throttle? Oh and I bought some new plugs gettin ready to install them in a bit hopefully they help.
                  02' Katana 600

Comment

I changed plugs and emptied the bad gas out and put 93 octane back in it's still running really rough between 3500 and 6000 rpm. Any suggestions?s
                    02' Katana 600

Comment

bump
                      02' Katana 600

Comment

Well , I'd check for air leaks around carbs and airbox , try some Seafoam or Techron and hope that gets whatever other gunk out that could be in there , and see where that puts you . If it's STILL doing it , it may be time to tear into the carbs and look for jetting problems , or worn parts .

Comment

sweet thanks man I actually bought some seafoam the same time I got my new plugs.
                          02' Katana 600

Comment

So I have talked to alotta people and alotta people that have heard the bike run seem to think I need to take the carbs off and clean them. How difficult is it to remove the carbs and put them back on and is there any possible way I can throw them outta sync if I take them off and put them back on.

oh and all the body panels are off including the tank. GETTIN READY FOR PAINT!!!
                            Last edited by ras; 12-20-2007, 01:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            02' Katana 600

Comment

Carbs, off and clean in the same post mean, Yes, sync. Carb's just off, no. If you don't know the last time they were sync'd, sync.

I was incorrect... technically, anytime the carbs come off your SUPPOSED to sync them.
                              Last edited by GytRDunKat; 12-20-2007, 02:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X