Looking at a 1996 suzuki katana for 2000 dollars. Need help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a 1996 suzuki katana for 2000 dollars. Need help

Hey Guys,

I came across an all black 1996 suzuki katana with only 3600 miles going for rougly 2000. The title is clean and the registration is current. The only drawback is that there are no plastics, but to me the bike looks pretty badass without it.

I am just getting out of the novice stage (had my m1 for two years) and was just cruising to see what I could find.

Here are my questions:
    I am a tall rider 6'6'' so can I fit on this thing (can't tell by the pic)$
    The windshield looks pretty ridiculously high without plastics going up to it, is there any way to chop it or buy a lowered version?
    Are there any problems riding without plastics? I figure you could get more easily burnt but are there any implications that I am not seeing?
    Read a lot about GSXRs in general but not Katanas, any give me a quick rundown on whether this 1996 bike is total crap or not.

Tried to surf around the net some and the specs looked pretty decent. I know all you guys on here can give me a bit of a run down so please let me know.

The 750 speedscreen is taller, looks like that's what is on that one. Find a 600 on ebay if it bothers you that much.

Plenty of people ride without plastics. No problems there.

I'm 6'2'' and 200. Fits me fine. You might have a problem with any sport type bike, but I've seen some pretty big guys on Kats.

From the pics, it looks pretty good. Though I'm curious as to why the owner has no plastics on it. Personal preferance or wrecked it? I'd like to see a shot from the front.

Check out this link...
    motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Long Live the D

Comment

about that bike. Check out the link above...

Kinda looks like The Klic's old bike...
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Are you in Cali?

Long Live the D

Comment

Ummm...yeah...it looks like crap......don't buy it...in fact, give me the guy's number so I can call him and buy...errr...tell him what crap he is selling
          Currently Kat-less....but still in love with them.

And as I hit 6th gear, I forgot what she said...

Comment

Thanks guys.

He said that the bike's plastics were stolen, and I am inclined to believe him unless I see any other damage.

I am in Cali to answer your question, that ring any bells?

Comment

Make sure you get a ride on it and inspect it carefully before you buy it.
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Plastics were stolen!?! Those are some crafty thieves. Even on a good day it's 10 minutes per side. Other than that, that's a pretty clean 600. Go though that buying guide good before you purchase. Oh, and a Katana is no Gxsr, in case you hadn't figured it out, it's much heavier.

Good Luck!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Boss - what do you weigh?? My buddy is about 6'3" or 4" and weighs about 280 or so... and I have a 96 Kat 600 (modded). He says he's really comfortable on it (though he looks like a monkey F@#$ing a football when he pushes it into a twistie).

Great starter bike and very easy to mod... The only thing I'd say is $2K for an 11 year old bike?? I think I'd try to chew him up a little on the price (then again, I'm a cheap bastage).

This is from the Clymer's Manual:

The GSX600F, 750F and
                  11 OOF (Katana)

Riders who didn't need a cutting-edge sportster also benefited from the
                  GSX-R's development, because the engines were used in a new generation of GSX models (Katanas in the US). The 750 was sleeved down for the GSX600, a budget bike that was deliberately built to a price and not intended to compete with the Supersports 600s like the FZR or CBR. All-enveloping bodywork hid the steel chassis and produced
                  an effect that one observer likened to a teapot when it appeared in 1987.
                  Aesthetics aside, the GSX was astounding value for money and the following year a better looking 750 cc version was launched.

In late '87 the 1100 motor was used in a GSX aimed at the sports tourer segment occupied by FJ Yamahas and CBR Hondas. It was one of those bikes that wasn't well received on its launch but as time went on it, like the GSXs, revealed itself as yet another very good motorcycle. And when you took the price into account they were seen as exceptional bikes.

More weight, less horsepower - more comfort, less speed...
                  "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by bosstweed
                    I am in Cali to answer your question, that ring any bells?
                    Well I just saw the fan on one of the pics.

Long Live the D

Comment

Originally posted by cereal_killer
                      Ummm...yeah...it looks like crap......don't buy it...in fact, give me the guy's number so I can call him and buy...errr...tell him what crap he is selling
                      Nice
                      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                      JOHN 16:33

Comment

I'm 5-7, my son is about 5-6, and we both felt fine on the 99 Kat 750. Perhaps a Kat is not the best choice for a 6-6 rider, unless the pre's have a higher seat?

It's probably too fast, but when I sit on my 89 1100, I find I am a bit stretched out. They can be had for about 2K, too- one on ebay now, or recently, no bids at... $2000.
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

the 600 is enough to get me around and i am 6'5" and about 280. the price is too high for a kat with no sheilds though. see if he will come down. also stealing the fairing is a real pain in the @ss. keep checking for damage. if he fixed it all then i guess it wouldnt be that bad but if you see something move along to another bike. also you will experience a bit more wind sheer with the missing fairings but its not ridiculous unless you are over 90mph or so. looks good though
                          '93 naked kat 600 (wrecked and sold)
                          '82 v45 magna 750 (sold)
                          '80 xj650 maxim
                          "evil" '96 saturn sl2
                          '90 toyota pickup (killed by farm implement)
                          '94 toyota pickup 265000 miles and counting

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33006 my bike as it was

Comment

Originally posted by gytrdunkat
                            Plastics were stolen!?! Those are some crafty thieves. Even on a good day it's 10 minutes per side.
                            Amateur .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                              Originally posted by gytrdunkat
                              Plastics were stolen!?! Those are some crafty thieves. Even on a good day it's 10 minutes per side.
                              Amateur .
                              10 minutes to get both sides off... that includes getting the tools out, and going back twice for the hex that fits the windscreen
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X