X

New here, questions on a GSX750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, questions on a GSX750

Hey I wasn't sure where to post this, Im buying a 1990 GSX750F this week. Ive had all sorts of bikes before, and I just ended up liking the katana, and the price is right. The bike looks pretty good for its age, claims new tires, new battery, lowering kit, HID conversion, flush mount turns, two brothers exhaust, and a valve adjustment in the last 6 months. The bad is he says the choke cable is "seized" so it might just need a new cable Im guessing, and that the timing chain guide is worn and makes a noise from chain lash. Is that a common problem on these bikes? Where is the chain tensioner and guides he's talking about and can they be replaced without pulling the engine? Other than the noise, what else would I look/listen for to diagnose the problem, and how long can I ride on that before it becomes a real issue? Thanks!

The bike only has 27k miles on the clock, id be really surprised is the cam chain was stretched already. I mean, anything is possible but you'd have to be riding like a hooligan to ruin it that fast. Where are the guides on that engine? Is there an Idler also or just the guides? I've also seen that a lot of people on these bikes swap out the self adjusting tensioner for a manual one, any particular manufacturer recommended?

Comment

Welcome to KR!
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Working...
      X