X

May I please have your paint advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May I please have your paint advice?

I promise, I searched and searched the forums first but am still stuck.

I had a little scuff in right front of my bike (and the windscreen is scratched up too which I'll replace... I didn't like the clear windscreen anyway). So any side advice is welcome - seems like there are good ebay deals!?! Anyone have any success?

My Katana is black. I wet sanded the scuff out with 1500 followed by 2000 and it came out easily enough but I've sanded through the clear coat. I've tried both some cleaner wax and some Scratch Doctor but it still looks matte despite lots of buffing (by hand). Can I clear coat over top? The paint underneath looks fine... just can't get it shiny? Will this work or do you have any other ideas?
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoBodyRepair1/AutoBodyPaintProtectants/PRD~0473506P/Dupli-color%252BAcrylic%252BLacquer%25252C%252BClear.jsp ?locale=en

Thanks so much!

After you've wet sanded with 1500 and 2000 grit, you don't just go straight to the wax or clear. Wash it off with dishsoap and water, and then take some polishing compound to it. Use a damp cloth, and start with medium pressure, lightening up until you're barely dragging the cloth across it. Buff it off with a dry soft cloth, and it should look reasonably shiny. NOW you hit it with some wax and it will really shine up.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

If you broke through the clear, only re-clearing it will bring back the shine. I'm not so sure about that acrylic lacquer, it may lift the OEM paint and make a heck of a mess. Read the label for any warnings and make sure the area to be sprayed is thoroughly degreased or the clear will fisheye on ya.
      If ya haven't actually broke through the clear, then ya, loud is right you need to polish it out.
      If ya want to make the trip, I can spray it or polish it out for ya.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

You guys are brilliant and thank you so much for the help! I would love to make the trip to Ingersoll. I'm working from Ottawa today - flew out this morning from Waterloo and as luck would have it.. there's snow here

I'll pick up some polishing compound as soon as I'm back and have a go at it. Please let me know if there is a particular brand you swear by.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by **Laura** View Post
          You guys are brilliant and thank you so much for the help! I would love to make the trip to Ingersoll. I'm working from Ottawa today - flew out this morning from Waterloo and as luck would have it.. there's snow here

I'll pick up some polishing compound as soon as I'm back and have a go at it. Please let me know if there is a particular brand you swear by.

Thanks again!

Would you mind terribly taking the snow back with you when you head home ????
          Guylaine
          Try and keep up now

Comment

3M Finesse-it II finishing material. part # 05928. Look at an autobody supply.
            Never be afraid of DIY. Remember, amateurs built the ark, and professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
              Would you mind terribly taking the snow back with you when you head home ????
              Ah Sky, it sucks! I promise you, I didn't bring the snow... I wasn't expecting it either! It was a super grumpy landing.

Comment

Originally posted by BWBuer View Post
                3M Finesse-it II finishing material. part # 05928. Look at an autobody supply.
                Yes, very good, but expensive here. I pay $40 a bottle.
                2000 Katana 600
                2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

If I can't find it, I'll just put an angry beaver on it. Bwa ha ha...
                  http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I'll check Princess Auto before it comes to that...

Comment

You'll have to go to an automotive shop that carries paint supplies to get it. I buy mine at NAPA auto.

You said you are in insurance right? My sis works for Gore Mutual and used to travel to Ottawa frequently.
                    Last edited by Astro4x4; 04-27-2010, 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by **Laura** View Post
                      Ah Sky, it sucks! I promise you, I didn't bring the snow... I wasn't expecting it either! It was a super grumpy landing.
                      Alright you two, all of this snow talk has now brought some to my little slice of heaven. Which one of you two has angered the snow monster? We just got into the 70's, so please appease the sun monster and send some warmer weather our way.
                      It's all good! It's goody good!

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoKoolKat View Post
                        Which one of you two has angered the snow monster?
                        It wasn't me but I'm way too new to point a finger at Sky... but it was here when I got here....

Comment

Sky did it! She was laughing at me when I had snow last couple of weeks, so I sent her some!
                          THE DOC
                          RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                          Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                          mistake when you make it again.
                          sigpic

Comment

GRRRR It's supposed to be crappy and cold here for another 6 or so days. I hope others are finding wonderful weather.
                            It's all good! It's goody good!

Comment

90 today here in FLA
                              sigpic
                              If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

Working...
                              X