X

Chain guard tabs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain guard tabs

I see Katanas with the chain guard removed and the tabs removed. I'm about to powdercoat a swingarm and if these tabs are weak to start with I will grind them off first. Opinions will be appreciated.

Weak?... you mean as in "could break" weak?

Not likely... would take some pretty serious force to break them (but then a broken chain has pretty serious forces)... normal use, they won't come off.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Who runs without a chain guard?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        Who runs without a chain guard?

Bob did...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Comment

Appreciate that people, but if you think that little piece of plastic is going to save you, keep up the faith. I'll leave them on for the powdercoating. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Timan View Post
              Appreciate that people, but if you think that little piece of plastic is going to save you, keep up the faith. I'll leave them on for the powdercoating. Thanks for the comments.
              Well the steel under it too..
              But not just that but the massive amounts of lube it keeps off the bike and oh yeah your tire.. I guess Suzuki and everyone else just put them there to drive up the prices... What a rip off

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                ... I guess Suzuki and everyone else just put them there to drive up the prices... What a rip off

I have my chain guard off because I'm a squid but I plan on putting it on for the massive oil splatter with it off.
                95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                ---
                I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

They work great for what they are designed to do... provide a barrier to prevent clothing and other things from getting caught between the chain/sprocket, so that the rest of you will not be pulled into it, which creates a very effective cutting/ripping/destructive result when it does happen.

There are many many examples out there of why a chain guard is a good idea...

Not preaching, jus sayin... it really does do something, very well... and it is dangerous to run without one.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

Took mine of and cut the tabs off. Actually broke them off by bending 'em back and forth with a pliers, then ground it down smooth with a grinder. Looks cleaner without the guard there. BTW, I hope no one here really believes that plastic is gonna save you when the chain snaps

Comment

Originally posted by streebs93 View Post
                      Took mine of and cut the tabs off. Actually broke them off by bending 'em back and forth with a pliers, then ground it down smooth with a grinder. Looks cleaner without the guard there. BTW, I hope no one here really believes that plastic is gonna save you when the chain snaps

It's not to prevent the chain from hitting you....

It's to prevent parts of you from getting into the chain/sprocket when it's properly on the bike and things are moving....

What starts as a shoe lace or jeans pants leg, can easily turn into the picture I posted....

What happens when you put parts of you in between the chain/sprocket?...

A chain guard helps to prevent this from happeing to other parts of you by accident.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

It's not just there for IF the chain snaps - it prevents loose clothing from getting caught in the chain and pulling you into the machinery. If you ever removed the cover, it does have a metal insert under the topside which will afford some ridgidty.
                        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Squids don't evolve so y'all are wasting breath..

Comment

I'm way too old to be a squid. I would guess as much as 2-3 of you riders added together. For some reason about 1/2 my questions result in a ****ing contest. On the bike I acquired the tabs had been removed and smoothed out. I picked up a rolling chassis for spares and intend to powdercoat the swingarm to install on my bike. My intent was to find out if the tabs were going to crack and break off; if so I was going to remove them before the powdercoating. I've gone through 30-40 bikes maybe more and documented over 400k miles. I learn something from the young riders every time I talk to them.

Comment

When I sit on my kat my pants are no where near the chain and as for shoelaces, make sure they are always tied and tucked away, I wear boots with a velcro strap that covers the laces. The idea is to not wear baggy clothes when riding a bike anyway.....BP....Squid I am not, but safety nazi I am not either

Comment

Working...
                              X