Clothe yourself in KR

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Welcome to KatRiders.com! > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to KatRiders.com! We're glad you found us!
Please take a minute to introduce yourself and tell us about your bike.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #11
Radek
Skid Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post

What I would suggest...

The 99 750 GSXF rear shock is rebuildable. Respring and valving would be part of the rebuild. When that happens, the shock can be shimmed to reduce it's total travel length. Specify how much you want the bike to be lowered, and they can shim it that much. You would end up with a better performing suspension than stock & have it sit a little lower.

The front forks should also be rebuilt with new springs. I'd suggest racetech springs with gold valve emulators. The front forks can also be shimmed by placing a spacer with the small spring on the damper rod. Again, this works like shimming the rear shock and reduces the max height the fork will expand. The size of the spacer would be 1.12% of the height you lowered the rear of the bike.

The seat can shaved, refoamed, or even have gel inserts used to reduce the height. I do auto upholstery and can tell you it's not hard if you have the right basic tools. Or have a shop do it for you. Probably run in the $150 range to that right.

For me right would be it comes back looking at least as good if not better than new with appropriate materials under the vinyl to still give you a good seating surface. Perhaps even adjusting the shape a bit cause the factory shape isn't as comfortable as it could be.

Krey
There is a lot to do here! but what you suggest makes sense ... since my daughter will likely keep this bike for a while, it's worth investing in it for safety and fun!

Who does the fork and shock work? How much will it typically cost including shipping back/forth to NJ?

Who does the seat shaving work the right way? How much will it cost including shipping back/forth to NJ? The seat already has couple of tears so will be needing a replacement vinyl as well.

I may get the seat shaved/lowered first before doing anything else ... do you do it?

thanks!
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:11 AM   #12
shpielers
Kat Legend

Responded in your other thread, but to answer some of your questions here:

Racetech in CA can do the fork/shock work, so can T-Mod (runs Norwest Suspension). Likely others can, but I've dealt with those 2 and have had great results.

Ballpark pricing since I never had to shim anything (I'm tall) $250 for forks. Labor I believe was 125/hr, parts (seals and bushings) another 75.
Shock - just had mine rebuild, ~225. This was without shimming, revalving or respringing (valves and spring previously upgraded).
Talk to people, get some firm numbers. If she's gonna keep it, suspension is the best bang for your buck as far as performance goes IMHO. (+ It helps a lot with safety)

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #13
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpielers View Post
Responded in your other thread, but to answer some of your questions here:

Racetech in CA can do the fork/shock work, so can T-Mod (runs Norwest Suspension). Likely others can, but I've dealt with those 2 and have had great results.

Ballpark pricing since I never had to shim anything (I'm tall) $250 for forks. Labor I believe was 125/hr, parts (seals and bushings) another 75.
Shock - just had mine rebuild, ~225. This was without shimming, revalving or respringing (valves and spring previously upgraded).
Talk to people, get some firm numbers. If she's gonna keep it, suspension is the best bang for your buck as far as performance goes IMHO. (+ It helps a lot with safety)
norwestsuspension.com - Terry... Tmod here. Know's his stuff, knows the kat very well, and can give you what you desire. He's done it for my wife's bike.

The seat... If you don't want to do it yourself, look up a local auto upholstery shop. It's what they do. Take it to them, they will tell you all the details on what your looking at cost wise and options.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Welcome to KatRiders.com! > Introductions