X

HOW TO: Replace Your Grips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quadturbo
    instead of using hair spray to slide the grips on you can use rubbing alcohol and throw a match in there when you get them where you want them, then you don't have to wait for the stuff to dry. i don't know how well it will work on motorcycle but ive done it on bicycles.
    I would suggest not using hairspray either. If you get any water in between the grips they will slip on you. Not good if it is raining. I used to use hairspray but quit.

Comment

Just thought I'd update based on another post: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1456984

Originally posted by Teh_K
      Originally posted by zackeone View Post
      Just to clarify, you didn't use hairspray on the throttle side, and you've never had any problems with it?
      On the non-throttle side, I used hairspray so that it wouldn't spin, and so far everything is ok

On the throttle side, I did not use hairspray because there was no adhesive of any sort when I took the original grip off - so I left it the same. So far, I have not had any problems - except 1 very minor (really minor) annoyance: Over the course of riding (months), the grip tends to slide ever-so-slightly down towards the bar end (probably due to the engine vibrations). This was not a problem on the stock grip because it had extra rubber material that went over the large circular ridge next to the control pod, preventing the grip from shifting left/right (the new grips just butt up against the ridge).

As I said, this is very minor - but if you're hardcore, I think they make special grip glue that will not liquify in water that's safe to use on the throttle sheath.
      "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Working...
      X