Front forks on my 88 gsx 600f project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front forks on my 88 gsx 600f project

K riders,

this morning as I took out the trash I scoped my 88 on the way out of the man cave. I looked at the top of the fork tubes in the upper triple tree and another 88 surprise is that I found that there was no adjustment option for selecting different damping.
    When did adjustable fork damping configuration(s) start on the GSX 600F's?

This makes me want to retrofit a more adjustable design to this project. I had originally posted that I was surprised that there was also no option for adding air to the forks. That post delivered a lot of interesting responses as well.

What would be a good prudent choice for retrofitting a more damping selectable design. I also have 2 mid 70's Suzuki GT 750 projects where I also want to update the forks as well. I have been keeping track of e bay offerings for suzuki GS 750E trees and forks because the have the air addition option along with the hydraulic anti dive feature on each fork leg bottom. Several prior replies to my previous post received description of the technology was now antiquated in comparision to current state of the art.

I also have a large collection of Honda CX 500 turbo tress and forks with air and TRAC anti dive as well as Honda GL 1100 tress and forks with air and TRAC anti dive as well, and I would contemplate retrofitting those since it could be a relatively no cost option - except for steering head tapered bearing conversions as long as I can get proper OD of bearing assembly to fit into GSX 600F stem bore while also providing proper ID bore to accept the Honda triple tree shaft OD.

Looking forward to K riders taunts and recommendations for moderdizing my 88 bartered *******

regards to all

Kling Tut
    Do what cha wanta and do what cha will, just don't mess up your neighbor's thrill.
    And when your ride is over kindly leave a little tip, to help the next poor bast__d on their one way trip.

Originally posted by KLINGTUT View Post
    K riders,

this morning as I took out the trash I scoped my 88 on the way out of the man cave. I looked at the top of the fork tubes in the upper triple tree and another 88 surprise is that I found that there was no adjustment option for selecting different damping.

This makes me want to retrofit a more adjustable design to this project. I had originally posted that I was surprised that there was also no option for adding air to the forks. That post delivered a lot of interesting responses as well.

What would be a good prudent choice for retrofitting a more damping selectable design. I also have 2 mid 70's Suzuki GT 750 projects where I also want to update the forks as well. I have been keeping track of e bay offerings for suzuki GS 750E trees and forks because the have the air addition option along with the hydraulic anti dive feature on each fork leg bottom. Several prior replies to my previous post received description of the technology was now antiquated in comparision to current state of the art.

I also have a large collection of Honda CX 500 turbo tress and forks with air and TRAC anti dive as well as Honda GL 1100 tress and forks with air and TRAC anti dive as well, and I would contemplate retrofitting those since it could be a relatively no cost option - except for steering head tapered bearing conversions as long as I can get proper OD of bearing assembly to fit into GSX 600F stem bore while also providing proper ID bore to accept the Honda triple tree shaft OD.

Looking forward to K riders taunts and recommendations for moderdizing my 88 bartered *******

regards to all

Kling Tut

The 88s are the only year the forks didn't have the damping option selectors. 89+ models do.

For the $ invested, the best option is to just use those forks, get correct springs, emulators, and have the damping rod redone. If you set it for your ride weight/style.... they will out perform most other things your used to. The emulator will remove the option for damping external adjustablity anyways.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just curious, why would you take something with 30 yr old technolocy and install 40-50 yr old technology on it? Why not upgrade the forks to a 90-97 (if not 98+) set with the proper weight springs and emulators in them? T tells me that you can get sv caps for adjustable pre-load. What's the fascination with air?
      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
        Just curious, why would you take something with 30 yr old technolocy and install 40-50 yr old technology on it?
        Thats a BIG +1 there.

It's like replacing an old rusty truck with an old rusty truck that has no engine...
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          Thats a BIG +1 there.

It's like replacing an old rusty truck with an old rusty truck that has no engine...
          I wasn't meaning to be inflammatory, I'm genuinely curious what your reasoning and thought process is on this. I'm doing a suspension upgrade on my bike and I made use of the overload of information here and the recommendations of a suspension expert I trust.
          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KLINGTUT View Post
            K riders,

regards to all

Kling Tut
            It doesn't matter how many times you ask this, the answer will always be the same as Tim's. Get your stock springers redone with the proper oil, springs, and cartridge emulators. That is the most bang for the buck and will deliver the best ride.

Everything you are looking at replacing your stock suspension with is either way old tech, or not set up right for the Kat either, so the improvement will be nothing, and may actually be worse.

Comment

The rebound adjustment don't do anything anyway. Do you just want something to play with at stop lights? Adding forks from the mid 70's isn't modernizing anything. You do understand what "modernizing" means right? That would be the opposite of adding even older stuff to an already old bike.
              Last edited by arsenic; 03-22-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Here, if you really want to make it "modern", put a Busa front end on it. Send the forks to Tmod first though, because even those aren't set up right.

Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
                From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
                Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.

Comment

Before you do that. Ask Tmod how he feels about putting a Busa front end on a Katana. Cause it's not a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    Before you do that. Ask Tmod how he feels about putting a Busa front end on a Katana. Cause it's not a good thing.
                    LOL How about we don't but say we did.

Tmod
                    Last edited by Tmod; 03-22-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

It's gotta be better than air anti-dive though.

Comment

So are the forks he already has.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          So are the forks he already has.
                          Tru dat. Point taken.

Comment

How do you take apart these '88 forks to add oil?
                            1978 GS1000 Streetfighter
                            1988 GSX600f

Comment

Originally posted by allenbrown View Post
                              How do you take apart these '88 forks to add oil?

[ame="http://vimeo.com/10583706"]Pre 98 Katana Fork disassembly on Vimeo[/ame]

While the 88 has minor difference, the majority of the steps will be the same. Just note, no drain screw, and no adjustable damping on the 88s.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X