X

How To: Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
    Wow I did not even know you posted this untill now.

I did notice the difference when I first bought them and even posted a thread about them.

I had no problems with the wider bushings on my forks.
    I see you have a 01 so maybe in 03+ they only allow the 8mm tall bushing. The taller bushing will not fit in mine as the recess for them is only 8mm deep and then you have the steel plate and the seal and then the retainer.

Tmod
    Last edited by Tmod; 04-28-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Just a tuning tip for the emulators:

Racetech makes 4 different spring rates for the emulators, The spring rate we get with that kat emulators is 64 lb/in. I have read squiggys progress with low speed damping vs hi speed damping and diving under braking. While the emulator does have a low speed bleed hole you can still change the curve using a different spring rate. For instance if you went with a blue spring 40 lb/in and went about 3.0~4.0 on the preload of that it would add a little more low speed damping (less brake dive) and offer softer hi speed compression damping for the rough stuff (more compliant suspension). This may or may not be what anyone person wants but it is a alternative to what comes from Racetech. Racetech will send these springs to you free of charge to my understanding if you are not happy with the available emulator adjustments that you are currently running.

The colors and spring rates are below:

Aluminum color or Cad plated 26 lbs/in
      Blue 40 lbs/in
      Yellow 64 lbs/in (Stock spring for kat emulators)
      Red 101 lbs/in (Used on the Gold Wing Emulators and other heavy bikes)

Tmod
      Last edited by Tmod; 05-21-2009, 01:16 PM.

Comment

ahhhh...interesting. I've never heard anywhere on any web boards that Race Tech offers other springs for the emulators. Cool.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

ahhhh...interesting. I've never heard anywhere on any web boards that Race Tech offers other springs for the emulators. Cool.
          One of the things I got out of the seminar.

I will get the rates of them and post the numbers as I wrote them in my book but can't find them right now.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
            One of the things I got out of the seminar.

I will get the rates of them and post the numbers as I wrote them in my book but can't find them right now.

Tmod
            Yeah, let us know.

Did you have any problems with Race Tech's spring washer, the washer that sits on top of the spring, like I did when I posted it in the tutorial?

Comment

Yeah, let us know.

Did you have any problems with Race Tech's spring washer, the washer that sits on top of the spring, like I did when I posted it in the tutorial?
              Yep and when I was at the seminar I let Matt Wiley know about that and the bushing being different on the 03+. He took a image of the bushing and the part number so they can correct that. They use that same spring on USD 41mm forks and the washer fits them but not the damping rod forks.

Tmod

Comment

Yeah, let us know.

Updated my post Here with the spring rates.

Tmod

Comment

I wanted to make another observation now that the temperature is back to normal summer season.

Now that it is warm in the mornings, there is a noticeable softness in the compression of the forks when they transition the driveway to the street, via the curb.

Just that little bit of warm temperature heated the fork oil enough to be softer. In the winter it was a harsh, stiff feeling in the forks when making that transition.

Comment

so...wait, according to this write up and pictoral...there IS a drain at the bottom of the fork on the post 98 kats?? I've asked many people, only to hear that there is NOT one?

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
                      so...wait, according to this write up and pictoral...there IS a drain at the bottom of the fork on the post 98 kats?? I've asked many people, only to hear that there is NOT one?
                      No there is not a drain hole what squiggy is referring to is the damper rod bolt that when removed oil will drain out of. it is not meant to drain the oil out of the fork and I would not recommend using it for that unless you are rebuilding your forks.

Tmod

Comment

oh....well....thats what we used on my brothers bike...seemed to work great. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                          No there is not a drain hole what squiggy is referring to is the damper rod bolt that when removed oil will drain out of. it is not meant to drain the oil out of the fork
                          Correct.

Comment

I have a question.. So I did this emulator install, using the smallest rebound hole and setting the emulator at 2 turns of preload (street setting according to Racetech). I am happy with my rebound, and with the overall handling but my compression response seems a little too damped.....

I am using about 18mm of preload on .95kg springs...should I give it a little more? Should I just set the front sag in the manner sportbikes are setup? what is everyone else running for their settings.

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
                              I have a question.. So I did this emulator install, using the smallest rebound hole and setting the emulator at 2 turns of preload (street setting according to Racetech). I am happy with my rebound, and with the overall handling but my compression response seems a little too damped.....

I am using about 18mm of preload on .95kg springs...should I give it a little more? Should I just set the front sag in the manner sportbikes are setup? what is everyone else running for their settings.
                              Set the sag just like any other bike, Don't go by how much preload you have on it. Are you running the blue or yellow springs for the emulators from RT?

Tmod

Comment

That's what I thought, just needed an expert opinion

they gave me the metal (gray) color ones. Should I request a different rate? Does it make a difference I am running a pre600 front on a pre750 (shouldn't, right?)

Comment

Working...
                                X