X

Non ethanol Gas in Pa.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non ethanol Gas in Pa.

Does anyone know where to find non ethanol gas in or around York Pa.
    05 Kat 600
    Yoshi RS3
    Bar Risers
    Road Attacks
    Fumoto Valve
    Corbin Seat w / backrest
    Sportech black chrome windscreen
    Custom garage door opener

I've seen some Shell stations advertise "No Ethanol" however the sticker on the pump still says "may contain up to 10% ethanol."
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

airport
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I'm under the impression that there is zero non-ethanol gasoline to be bought at the gas pumps in the USA by federal regulation, at least through the winter months. Whether this will remain the case as summer draws near again is beyond me.

You may be able to find ethanol-free gasoline at non-traditional sources, such as airports (caution: lead in some mixes), boat docks and/or racing fuel outlets.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

All fuel has some ethanol.
          its just one more way of making you buy more fuel.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Does it cause problems for our Kats or something?
            My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
              Does it cause problems for our Kats or something?
              Ethanol in the fuel can cause problems, in that the alcohol content is hygroscopic (water-attracting) and the fuel storage system (fuel tank) on virtually all motorcycles (including the Kats) are non-sealed gas tanks.
              One of the more serious results is that the fuel actively draws water (humidity, condensation) in from the ambient air in the tank. If you're burning through a tank every few days, this isn't much of an issue, but if your bike is parked for extended periods of time, this can be an serious issue (causing rust, etc.). Filling the tank to full before parking/storage helps (less air space for condensation to form), and some fuel stabilizers now take this unsealed tank factor into account (Stabil Marine for example) to help prevent issues.
              Additionally, alcohol is a very efficient stripper, and can accelerate VOC loss from rubber parts that it's in contact with, causing early failure of those rubber parts (compared to standard gasoline exposure).
              Finally, alcohol makes the fuel-air mixture burn leaner, which can be an issue for bikes that are already set extremely lean either by design or by virtue of blocked fuel/air/vac passages, and have no O2-sensor-loop to correct for it (i.e. - any carb'd bike).

Almost all of this would be moot if fuel tanks became truly vapor-sealed tanks in the same way that auto manufacturers had to in the mid-70's (except for the leaning-out issue on carb'd bikes; that can be addressed by adjusting the pilot screws & shimming the needles minorly).

There is rumblings coming out of Europe that the European market will force motorcycle manufacturers to move to vapor-sealed gas tanks by the 2012 model year; if so, expect to see the same sealed-tanks here, because it doesn't make economic sense to create separate tanks for different markets in most cases. Supposedly BMW already offers this as a standard item on certain 2009 models.
              This sealed-tank requirement actually makes great sense, since a motorcycle with an unsealed gas tank parked in the sun on a hot summer day actually generates somewhere around 5 to 10 times the pollution (from off-gassing evaporating fuels) that even a poorly-tuned motorcycle engine does while running. The only down-side for bikers on the sealed-tank issue is cost-to-implement (add another $100 per bike at the outset), and even that should be minimized after a couple years of it being standard technology in the motorcycle realms.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
              Last edited by The CyberPoet; 02-09-2009, 02:14 PM.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X