X

Shift Light Setting/Adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Light Setting/Adjustment

spent a little over 20 minutes today to read and figure out the owner's manual. I've read it once on the night I got the bike home, but thought I'd read it once more in detail.

for those who haven't figured out how to change the setting of your shift light because the confusing instruction in the manual, here's a simplified version:

- key in OFF position
    - bike in NEUTRAL
    - kill-switch in ON/RUN position
    - press and hold MODE and turn the key to ON
    - wait for the gauge function-check to finish
    - press ADJ to adjust between NO LIGHT (default), STAY ON, BLINK
    - press MODE once and press ADJ to adjust the brightness of shift light
    - press MODE once and press ADJ to adjust shift point 6k, 6.5k, 7k, 7.5k…. up to redline
    - press MODE once to finish setting/adjustment

I set mine to STAY ON, brightest, 8,000 rpm. Works great!
    sigpic
    2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

8,000 rpm? That leaves you like 4.5k after the light comes on right? Set that light higher man...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

but then, with city riding, I might not ever get to see the cool white LED lights

I'm such a ricer
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks.....now I just got to get past the break-in period and adjusting I will go!

Comment

Adjust it 6k for the break-in period, then move it up...

At least you have that choice: the ZX-14 doesn't let you shift it to the low, low levels of the break-in RPM ceiling -- but I can set the launch light (like a shift light, but used for drag-way launches) to higher than the break-in ceiling

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
          CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
          The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            Adjust it 6k for the break-in period, then move it up...
            The ceiling is 6K for the first 500 miles, then 9K up to 1,000 miles and then 12.5K thereafter.

So, I would actually need to set the shift light to much lower than 6K right now, otherwise I would be violating Suzuki's owner's manual. But, I could set it to 6K once I pass the 500 mile mark, but not exceed 9K.

I like the idea of adjusting the shift indicator to a much lower value during the break-in period; it is another mechanism to remind the rider to take it easy.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonChen View Post
              spent a little over 20 minutes today to read and figure out the owner's manual. I've read it once on the night I got the bike home, but thought I'd read it once more in detail.

for those who haven't figured out how to change the setting of your shift light because the confusing instruction in the manual, here's a simplified version:

- key in OFF position
              - bike in NEUTRAL
              - kill-switch in ON/RUN position
              - press and hold MODE and turn the key to ON
              - wait for the gauge function-check to finish
              - press ADJ to adjust between NO LIGHT (default), STAY ON, BLINK
              - press MODE once and press ADJ to adjust the brightness of shift light
              - press MODE once and press ADJ to adjust shift point 6k, 6.5k, 7k, 7.5k…. up to redline
              - press MODE once to finish setting/adjustment

I set mine to STAY ON, brightest, 8,000 rpm. Works great!
              Jason - this was simple as pie. I set mine to blink, brightest, 6,000 RPM (for now). 6,000 RPM seems to be the basement.

Thanks for the info!

Mark

Comment

you are welcome. glad it helped

mine's set at 10k now and I think I need to set it all the way up to redline.... bright white light on my face while riding on the fwy brings too much attention
                Last edited by JasonChen; 02-16-2009, 04:24 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks JasonChen.

I am just amazed at the level of technology found on what is basically a bargain bike. Gear indicator, shift light, multiple odos, fuel gauge.

Why, back when I started riding...mumble, koff, koff... what was I saying? zzzzzzz

Happy riding,
                  Kirk
                  Living truly is truly living

Comment

Awesome info! I had no idea we could do this

Wait, Jason, is this for a 98+ 600 katana or your 2008 650F?
                    Last edited by Si Speed 317; 05-11-2009, 11:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby

ProGrip||Scorpion

Comment

Since this is in the 650 area, I bet he's talking about his 650.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Oh, I didn't see that. I just clicked the new posts link, sorry
                        "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby

ProGrip||Scorpion

Comment

Originally posted by si speed 317 View Post
                          oh, i didn't see that. I just clicked the new posts link, sorry

2008 gsx650f
                          sigpic

Comment

Probably goes without saying, but if you pick the "no light" option it won't take you to the steps to set the brightness or RPM trigger point. When I first got the bike I thought the "brightness" setting was for the back lighting, not the shift light. Duh. Anyway. There ya go.

Comment

Working...
                            X