KOTM May 2009 DreKat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
bswasey
Katrider

Default Not looking forward to Maintenance

So my 06 2006 has 5400 miles. To date, the valves haven't been adjusted or even checked, so I decided this weekend to check them. I noticed around 4-5K, the bike has a harmonic "woowoowoowoowoo" sound and some what could be valve train noise. I hope it also makes the bike sound like a...you know bike and not like weed wacker motor. I think the biggest reason I've put it off is I've torn the bike down so many times adjusting the jet kit, checking plugs, etc that its a pain in the butt at this point. I do know not to torque the valve cover bolts to their recommended torque as they break easily, but any thing else to look for? Anyone recommend any sealants or will reusing only the gasket be ok?
bswasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
monger
Katrider

Sure you can re-use the valve cover gasket, and no sealent is needed.

BTW,
Where in Maine are you located?
monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
bswasey
Katrider

Hollis. Its in York County about 20 miles west of Portland. I'm near all the big cities (if you can call them that) in southern Maine
Old 06-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
ronin
Katrider

get the valves adjusted, it really makes a difference!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Uloset
Tank Slapper

Default Re: Not looking forward to Maintenance

[quote="bswasey"] I do know not to torque the valve cover bolts to their recommended torque as they break easily[quote]

Why what do you torque them to. I've torqued them to 10 ft. lbs. and the unions to 11.5 without a problem.
Uloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
bswasey
Katrider

I haven't taken the cover off yet, but have heard of them snapping before 10ft lbs was reached.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:34 AM   #7
md86
Katastical

eBay ID: md86dammit

Reuse valve cover gasket . Put silicone on the protrusions . Hollow hex head bolts torque REALLY low , as they brake easy . I leave mine at like 6 ft/lbs , as I broke one before getting to HALF of what the book says . They don't leak there . And I REALLY just go by feel . It don't take much . And if the allens leak , not only will it not cause a ton of problems , but it's easy enough to tighten them up slightly until they DON'T leak anymore .

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86
md86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
bswasey
Katrider

I almost set the bike on fire last night. Thats how mad I got at it. It took 30 min to strip it down, then an additional 2 1/2 hours just to get one valve cover bolt out!!!!! Its the one facing the front of the bike right behind the cooler in the center of cover. I rounded out the hex hole! GRRR. I couldn't get an allen wrench to bite into it at all so I ground a slot in one side, got a BIG punch and put a 5 pound sledge hammer to it and it loosened. Now I need to go the dealer and get a new bolt. WHy didn't they just use normal hex heads? Also, 5 bolts total are just under a non-removable crossmember. How did you torque them? There isn't enough room for a socket and rachet. I think I'm also going to see if the dealer has the "valve adjusting tool" for sale. If they don't, can a normal socket or pliers/vice grip work safely? I do not want to have to order one because I want the bike back together today. Looking a picture, the top of the valves look square. I do know regular hex sockets -can- hold on to them and take a fair amount of torque. (I do that with GM's famously horrific reverse torx bolts). Also, when you take the signal generator cover off, its it normal for a small amount (maybe a table spoon) of oil to come out?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:59 AM   #9
md86
Katastical

eBay ID: md86dammit

When I adjust mine , I'll turn them with my fingers , hold them with pliers and tighten the locknut with a wrench . Works well for me .
md86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:45 AM   #10
fixer
Knee Dragger

IIRC, the tool is inexpensive and makes the job simplier/easier than trying to improvise. if your dealer doesn't have it, i think CyberPoet does.

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk