Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Cleaned carbs, and now it does not start!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned carbs, and now it does not start!

Followed carbs 101, basically cleaned carbs, replaced worn out o-rings on carbs floats, and assambled everything just the way it was, I checked and needles were adjusted at 2 turns open, so when I re-assambled the needles I set them back at 2 turns open. Whats really strange is that engine turns as usual, there is spark at plugs, and all carb float housings have fuel (I opened up drain screws and fuel was present) but the engine does not start at all , nothing, just like there was no fuel at all. I smelled the mufflers and it smells to carburator cleaner that I used, so I think there is no fuel getting to the pistons, now, I belive it must be a problem common to all carbs as it makes no attempt to start. What should I re-check? Could it be that somehow the float needle settings on all carbs got disturbed? What do you think guys? Thanks a lot for your useful help as usual! Harry

You set the petcock on PRIme for about 30 seconds before attempting to start?

The battery has at least 12v?

Are the carbs seated correctly on the intake boots?

Vac leak? Left a cap off?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ok now she started but....

I just left the bike sit there for 1 hour, when I came back suprise! she started right away! But.... now she idles at 1500 and i noticed thart she was reving up to 1900 and back to 1500, all in a systematic method, I touched the exhausts and noticed no. 1 was only warm, and the rest 3 were hot already, and I left to run for a while and the same situation was present, what do you think? Thanks!

Comment

What did you set the float heights at and how did you set them?

Sounds like # 1 may not be firing or getting sufficient fuel............
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?

Comment

Fouled plug on #1, or a leak. Try spraying some WD40 around the carb boots.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I didint set the carbs float height...

I just opened that up, replaced o-rings and put it together.... whats the easiest wat to set it right?? my kat is a 93 750 thanks

Comment

Plug change . 1 ain't firing . THAT'S why it started after letting it sit for an hour . Had wet gas on it and wouldn't fire till it dried , and now may need to be changed . Carbs will want to be synched now ,too . That will cause a fluctuating idle .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

as will air mixture - but you cant set those till you sync the carbs
                97 Katana 600
                [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

I had to adjust the idle a lot after each time I messed with my carbs. You did adjust the idle right?
                  Were you careful with the pilot screw turns? There's a section in the repair manual for float height adjustment too.
                  Air leak from the boot not being seated could easily cause that like the others said, so check the boots before the plug.
                  1996 SUZUKI
                  KATANA 600F

Comment

Working...
                  X