X

pre exhaust questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre exhaust questions

Some of you know I'm a newb and Rebuilding a 1990 600 kat on a budget. Po I believe had a low side incident, something involving a loose rear tire. So the exhaust has been cut off on both sides just after the cross tube. He gave me the slip on muffler off his zx6 that he replaced in case I could use it. Metal work and welding is not an issue for me so I can rebuild it myself. So the question is should (and can) I use the zx6 can and build a 4-1 exhaust or should I just buy 2 new cans. Dont want to rejet the carb but I would have to if I went 4-1 right? And what should I look for in stock replacements? Just looking to get it running so I can ride it, performance is not really an issue. I think I know your advice will be to just replace the stock cans.

Originally posted by y2ktj View Post
    Some of you know I'm a newb and Rebuilding a 1990 600 kat on a budget. Po I believe had a low side incident, something involving a loose rear tire. So the exhaust has been cut off on both sides just after the cross tube. He gave me the slip on muffler off his zx6 that he replaced in case I could use it. Metal work and welding is not an issue for me so I can rebuild it myself. So the question is should (and can) I use the zx6 can and build a 4-1 exhaust or should I just buy 2 new cans. Dont want to rejet the carb but I would have to if I went 4-1 right? And what should I look for in stock replacements? Just looking to get it running so I can ride it, performance is not really an issue. I think I know your advice will be to just replace the stock cans.
    Re-jetting for a 4-1?
    Well you can buy a Katana post 97 4-1 stock system including the oil pan and pickup, or a Bandit system. Plenty of Bandit stainless headers usually available on Ebay.
    I kinda doubt you'd have to re-jet for a Suzuki OEM 4-1 system. But re-jetting would be kinda EZ and not pricey, as you could just buy 4 new jets for less than $20, and just one size larger. Or just raise the needles a tiny amount.
    Mostly you would just need to tune the idle screws and sync the carbs. All things you need to do anyway.
    Last edited by buffalobill; 11-14-2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I'm a total newb to the mechanics of bikes Bill. I've done a fair amount of riding on a friends 250 mx bike and I have a small 125 mx bike that I have worked on a bit. Cleaned the carbs and basic matinence. More of a pit bike than anything. But street bikes are new to me. I knew that a post header and pan would work for a 4-1 but thought you'd have to rejet as well. A friend of the guy I got the bike from will probably help me rebuild or rejet the carb if I asked. Awesome guy who knows his shit and answered a million of my newb questions. What year's bandit? and do you need to replace the pan with the bandit headers? If I did a post swap will the zx6 can work? After my post did some googling and got the impression that any can will work.

Comment

If you want any 4-1, you'll need a post '98 oil pan and pick up tube for that pan. To prevent having to re-jet, just buy any post '98 katana 4-1 header. The Bandit header is very slightly larger. Besides re-jetting, I believe I remember reading it requires slight modification to your under belly plastic etc...
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

One worry about other bike headers is, will they clear the Katana front brace across the engine front.
          I had to sell a 93 GSXR1100W header, because the down pipes not come forward enough to clear the brace.
          I have Katana 1100 headers on my 750 now, and they fit.
          The facts about modding bikes or cars is, you will have to buy stuff and find out for yourself if it works. Re-sell the stuff if it don't work.
          You'd better have what it takes to figure out solutions to issues.

Comment

The ZX CAN can be used. It depends on your fabbing skills. The can on my bike was meant for a Yamaha. wish I could find another, for duels.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I've been customizing and fabbing every vehicle I've owned since I was 16. From my first car, a slammed Corolla to my 2000 tj. Custom 3 link coilovers, front axle stretched out 5" and built all the armor. Its half the fun of owning a vehicle. Look forward to doing the same to the bike but want to get to know it first. Thanks for all the advice. That's why I love forums like this to lean on the more experienced. Couple pics of my first car and my jeep.

Comment

Besides your ability to fabricate, I'm not sure if we completely answered your question the way you meant to understand it. I personally would only use stock dual exhaust to keep from re-jetting. Thats not to say you can't use a stock 4-1 made for later model 600-750 Katanas , just as long as you use the stock muffler too. If you use a aftermarket muffler with stock headers, I'd still re-jet just to be on the safe side, but thats just me. This is where I feel we left you hanging unsure. You need to be absolutely positive here, so continue to do research. Otherwise you'll melt your pistons and waste what would have been a perfectly good running bike. I see katanas for sale on Craigslist all the time with swapped exhaust and the seller is like, all that its needed is the carbs need to be rebuilt. When what has actually happened is the motor has overheated a lost compression.

Comment

My kat is a 99 750...stock 4 into 1 pipes with a yoshimura rs3. Ivans jet kit and stock air filter. I've got no problems since I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs.idle to redline she sings that wonderful song we all love...

Comment

And, just to take things a bit further, to make your life a lot easier in the future, go ahead and buy a center stand before you attach any type of exhaust , PERIOD

Comment

Like kr said. .u can have a meltdown I had the same thing happened to me with a 91 fzr. ..I wasn't sure what I was doing at that time

Good idea on the center stand...makes life a lot simpler
                      Last edited by Parts man; 11-16-2018, 01:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                        Besides your ability to fabricate, I'm not sure if we completely answered your question the way you meant to understand it. I personally would only use stock dual exhaust to keep from re-jetting. Thats not to say you can't use a stock 4-1 made for later model 600-750 Katanas , just as long as you use the stock muffler too. If you use a aftermarket muffler with stock headers, I'd still re-jet just to be on the safe side, but thats just me. This is where I feel we left you hanging unsure. You need to be absolutely positive here, so continue to do research. Otherwise you'll melt your pistons and waste what would have been a perfectly good running bike. I see katanas for sale on Craigslist all the time with swapped exhaust and the seller is like, all that its needed is the carbs need to be rebuilt. When what has actually happened is the motor has overheated a lost compression.
                        Thanks for adding more to the topic and after your post I feel back where I started. So let me ask the question again. Used parts for the bike are hard to come by here. The local salvage has some and I haven't checked on exhaust parts yet. The bike is on a tight budget since the family comes first and the Jeep second so the bike sees the leftovers. It's not nothing but I don't really want to spend 600 on exhaust for a bike I paid 50 for. I'm just trying to get it running so I can ride it. I dont want to kill the motor either. I thought finding a post header and pan might be easier since there might be more around. But maybe finding a couple cans similar to the stock ones might be the way to go.

Been looking at center stands but shipping to Canada is ridiculous. as example cheapest fuse block I could find wa s 10 and they wanted 50 to ship.

Once its running and I have some seat time I wont have a problem throwing a little cash at it. As it stands now the bike last saw pavement more than 10 years ago and needs all kinds of maintenance. Tires look good but are ancient and should be replaced. Same goes for brakes, cables, seals ect. Was hoping to make what I have work for the exhaust but as I thought its more important than replacing car exhaust. I'm in no hurry so I'll do more research and appreciate the input.
                        Last edited by y2ktj; 11-16-2018, 01:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Wait??what! ! $50 to ship a fuse block.....omg

Y2 I really feel for you...always try the simple stuff first as you know. Make sure the carbs and tank are clean. This is the best site to find most anything for our bikes..and if you see anything posted by the cyber poet (may he r.i.p.)read it!! I've seen that this guy was amazing with bikes
                          Last edited by Parts man; 11-16-2018, 04:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yeah on Ebay. Shipping to Canada from small businesses like bike salvage shops can be crazy. Friends husband lives in Washington and had it shipped to him and she brought it over. Cant do that with bigger stuff. I'm on Vancouver island too so I cant ship to po box. There is a company that I've used before that charges 40 for up to 50lbs so if I get multiple items shipped from the same place for free it's not to bad. Haven't had luck looking for used parts in Canada.

Comment

If I were you, I'd just go ahead and jet the carbs. Shipping on a jet set can't be as bad as a heavy exhaust kit. This way you can avoid a real bike muffler all together. That is, if you can get it to pass street inspection where you live. I know here in the USA, a bike exhaust (atleast our old bikes) just has to have a small piece of obstruction material in the pipe to be considered a muffler ( fuck you California ) Its amazing how much you can get away with on motorcycles in the rest of the 49 states...lol See youtube where guys just weld car exhaust chrome tips to the end of the pipe and call it a muffler.
                              Trust when I say, go ahead and get the center stand now unless you already have some other way to lift the bike for maintenance. They are worth the money you'll spend for shipping, no doubt !

Comment

Working...
                              X