'90 Katana 600 Jet Kit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '90 Katana 600 Jet Kit

Hi,

I read that the Dyno Jet kit isn't very desirable. Further, I just picked up a brand new K&N which I run in my vehicles and on my HOG and am disappointed to read the negative stuff about it for the Kat. I searched the Factory Pro jet kit but it isn't available for a 1990 GSX600F. I believe they are for '93- up. I heard of Ivan's, but don't think they're available for a 1990 either...which leaves me with the Dyno Pro... I have a V&H Supersport 4->1 header and muffler. I am not sure if the carb jets are stock, but i am just trying to understand what I think I want to do, and what is reality... Thanks
    2004 KTM 525 EXC
    2004 KTM 200 EXC
    1990 Suzuki GSX600F
    1978-1/2 AMF/H-D Low Rider 1200

K&N is a piece of shit. CV carbs don't like high flow filters. Stick with the OEM type air filter. Factory pro is a simpler jet kit that works better than 99% of the jet kits available.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

90-97 kat use the same carbs, so 93 FP jetkit will work and has been used with no issues.
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        K&N is a piece of shit. CV carbs don't like high flow filters. Stick with the OEM type air filter. Factory pro is a simpler jet kit that works better than 99% of the jet kits available.
        That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. I got it new for half the price. I figured that if I didn't like it, I'll just get a stock air filter. I cut the stock one apart and found that tuned velocity stack inside. I thought I was doing myself a solid by getting a K&N. Oh, well. Thankfully I didn't spend my money on a Dyno Jet kit.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        90-97 kat use the same carbs, so 93 FP jetkit will work and has been used with no issues.
        Do you know this by experience? Because the Clymer Manual has them as different model numbers... I just don't wanna buy this to find out it isn't right then get stuck holding onto more parts.

Also, which model jet kit from Factory Pro would I get? The only mod to the bike is the V&H Supersport exhaust and K&N air filter I installed. Would I need a stage 1 or 3 kit?
        Last edited by dnelli; 01-23-2017, 09:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        2004 KTM 525 EXC
        2004 KTM 200 EXC
        1990 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by dnelli View Post
          Do you know this by experience? Because the Clymer Manual has them as different model numbers... I just don't wanna buy this to find out it isn't right then get stuck holding onto more parts.

Also, which model jet kit from Factory Pro would I get? The only mod to the bike is the V&H Supersport exhaust and K&N air filter I installed. Would I need a stage 1 or 3 kit?
          Ummm....a simple search of the forum would answer both questions with ease.

That said, you might consider that the guy with 15,000+ posts on this forum might, just might, know a thing or two about a Katana. In the case of Krey, yeah, he knows a few things....

FP: stage one unless you've done lots more work to the engine.

Comment

New number for the kit http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prods02.html
            They broke up the model 90-92 then 93-97.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
              Ummm....a simple search of the forum would answer both questions with ease.

That said, you might consider that the guy with 15,000+ posts on this forum might, just might, know a thing or two about a Katana. In the case of Krey, yeah, he knows a few things....

FP: stage one unless you've done lots more work to the engine.
              Oh, thanks so much for your insight . I made part numbers for parts and assemblies for a living. I never gave a new/different part number to an existing assembly unless it physically changed. I called FP yesterday and spoke to Mark who confirmed that they are in fact different, "or we would have never changed the p/n, just the model years it fit." So there you have it, it is in fact different. He didn't have the two kits in front of him to quantify the differences, but assured me that they were. He also told me that a jet kit is a tool like a hammer or screwdriver and is used to tune problems out of bikes. So reading between the lines, I'll just clean my standard jets and needles for now.

P.S. Krey: I mean no disrespect . I am sure you know all about the Kat's. My Kat is brand new to me.

Oh skjeflo BTW, no one likes a smart a$$, jus sayen.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              New number for the kit http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prods02.html
              They broke up the model 90-92 then 93-97.
              Thank you. The FP website is rather archaic but I was able to navigate to where it was buried online. It was my first time on their website.
              Last edited by dnelli; 01-24-2017, 08:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              2004 KTM 525 EXC
              2004 KTM 200 EXC
              1990 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by dnelli View Post
                Oh, thanks so much for your insight . I made part numbers for parts and assemblies for a living. I never gave a new/different part number to an existing assembly unless it physically changed. I called FP yesterday and spoke to Mark who confirmed that they are in fact different, "or we would have never changed the p/n, just the model years it fit." So there you have it, it is in fact different. He didn't have the two kits in front of him to quantify the differences, but assured me that they were. He also told me that a jet kit is a tool like a hammer or screwdriver and is used to tune problems out of bikes. So reading between the lines, I'll just clean my standard jets and needles for now.

P.S. Krey: I mean no disrespect . I am sure you know all about the Kat's. My Kat is brand new to me.

Oh skjeflo BTW, no one likes a smart a$$, jus sayen.

Thank you. The FP website is rather archaic but I was able to navigate to where it was buried online. It was my first time on their website.

The carbs are 100% the same 90-97. The only carb variances would be US vs NON US models, and CA vs Non CA model bikes. Being as there are no kits modeled specifically for those variances, I'm going to say yes... the kits they have given different numbers would work the same.

Since they think there is a difference, the only thing I can suggest that would be different is the ICM on the bikes. It's possible ( I have no way to test to confirms, but physically they are different) that the ICM was changed and has a slightly different advance curve on the RPM scale. This means the needle shape might be slightly different between the two for max performance.

IF that is the case... and someone were to use a non matching kit... My experience would be it would work with in 98% performance wise. Meaning... no one would have a clue even on a Dyno to check it.

Now... I appreciate the "if it's a different part number it be the same" comment, but the unable to answer the "what" is very disconcerting.

As for the experience question... yes, I've used the kits. No offense taken.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The carbs are 100% the same 90-97. The only carb variances would be US vs NON US models, and CA vs Non CA model bikes. Being as there are no kits modeled specifically for those variances, I'm going to say yes... the kits they have given different numbers would work the same.

Since they think there is a difference, the only thing I can suggest that would be different is the ICM on the bikes. It's possible ( I have no way to test to confirms, but physically they are different) that the ICM was changed and has a slightly different advance curve on the RPM scale. This means the needle shape might be slightly different between the two for max performance.

IF that is the case... and someone were to use a non matching kit... My experience would be it would work with in 98% performance wise. Meaning... no one would have a clue even on a Dyno to check it.

Now... I appreciate the "if it's a different part number it be the same" comment, but the unable to answer the "what" is very disconcerting.

As for the experience question... yes, I've used the kits. No offense taken.

Krey
                  Thanks. It seems like by what you're saying, the needles may slightly differ between the two kits.
                  2004 KTM 525 EXC
                  2004 KTM 200 EXC
                  1990 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Working...
                  X